Cobalt poisoning

Cobalt poisoning

Cobalt poisoning
Classification and external resources
ICD-10 T56.8
ICD-9-CM 985.8
DiseasesDB 2882
MedlinePlus 002495

Cobalt poisoning is intoxication caused by excessive levels of cobalt in the body. Cobalt is an essential element for health in animals in minute amounts as a component of Vitamin B12. A deficiency of cobalt, which is very rare, is also potentially lethal, leading to pernicious anemia.[1]

How cobalt enters the body

Exposure to cobalt metal dust is most common in the fabrication of tungsten carbide. Another potential source is wear and tear of metal-on-metal hip prostheses.

Toxicity of cobalt salts

The LD50 values of soluble cobalt salts has been estimated to be between 150 and 500 mg/kg. Thus, for a 100 kg person the LD50 would be about 20 grams.[1]

References

  1. ^ a b