|Integrin, alpha 3 (antigen CD49C, alpha 3 subunit of VLA-3 receptor)|
|Symbols||; CD49C; GAP-B3; GAPB3; ILNEB; MSK18; VCA-2; VL3A; VLA3a|
|External IDs||ChEMBL: GeneCards:|
|RNA expression pattern|
Integrin alpha-3 is a protein that in humans is encoded by the ITGA3 gene. ITGA3 is an integrin alpha subunit. Together with beta-1 subunit, it makes up half of the α3β1 integrin duplex that plays a role in neural migration and corticogenesis, acted upon by such factors as netrin-1 and reelin.
ITGA3 encodes the integrin alpha 3 chain. Integrins are heterodimeric integral membrane proteins composed of an alpha chain and a beta chain. Alpha chain 3 undergoes post-translational cleavage in the extracellular domain to yield disulfide-linked light and heavy chains that join with beta 1 to form an integrin that interacts with many extracellular matrix proteins.
The alpha 3 beta 1 integrin is known variously as: very late (activation) antigen 3 ('VLA-3'), very common antigen 2 ('VCA-2'), extracellular matrix receptor 1 ('ECMR1'), and galactoprotein b3 ('GAPB3').
- Takada Y, Murphy E, Pil P, Chen C, Ginsberg MH, Hemler ME (October 1991). "Molecular cloning and expression of the cDNA for alpha 3 subunit of human alpha 3 beta 1 (VLA-3), an integrin receptor for fibronectin, laminin, and collagen". J Cell Biol 115 (1): 257–66.
- Jones SD, van der Flier A, Sonnenberg A (September 1998). "Genomic organization of the human alpha 3 integrin subunit gene". Biochem Biophys Res Commun 248 (3): 896–8.
- "Entrez Gene: ITGA3 integrin, alpha 3 (antigen CD49C, alpha 3 subunit of VLA-3 receptor)".
- Tachibana, I; Bodorova J; Berditchevski F; Zutter M M; Hemler M E (November 1997). "NAG-2, a novel transmembrane-4 superfamily (TM4SF) protein that complexes with integrins and other TM4SF proteins". J. Biol. Chem. (UNITED STATES) 272 (46): 29181–9.
- Hadari, Y R; Arbel-Goren R; Levy Y; Amsterdam A; Alon R; Zakut R; Zick Y (July 2000). "Galectin-8 binding to integrins inhibits cell adhesion and induces apoptosis". J. Cell. Sci. (ENGLAND) 113 (13): 2385–97.
- Park, K R; Inoue T; Ueda M; Hirano T; Higuchi T; Maeda M; Konishi I; Fujiwara H; Fujii S (March 2000). "CD9 is expressed on human endometrial epithelial cells in association with integrins alpha(6), alpha(3) and beta(1)". Mol. Hum. Reprod. (ENGLAND) 6 (3): 252–7.
- Hirano, T; Higuchi T; Ueda M; Inoue T; Kataoka N; Maeda M; Fujiwara H; Fujii S (February 1999). "CD9 is expressed in extravillous trophoblasts in association with integrin alpha3 and integrin alpha5". Mol. Hum. Reprod. (ENGLAND) 5 (2): 162–7.
- Wixler, V; Geerts D; Laplantine E; Westhoff D; Smyth N; Aumailley M; Sonnenberg A; Paulsson M (October 2000). "The LIM-only protein DRAL/FHL2 binds to the cytoplasmic domain of several alpha and beta integrin chains and is recruited to adhesion complexes". J. Biol. Chem. (UNITED STATES) 275 (43): 33669–78.
- CD49c antigen at the US National Library of Medicine Medical Subject Headings (MeSH)
- ITGA3 Info with links in the Cell Migration Gateway