|Tumor necrosis factor (ligand) superfamily, member 13|
|Symbols||; APRIL; CD256; TALL-2; TALL2; TRDL-1; ZTNF2|
Tumor necrosis factor ligand superfamily member 13 (TNFSF13) also known as a proliferation-inducing ligand (APRIL) is a protein that in humans is encoded by the TNFSF13 gene. TNFSF13 has also been designated CD256 (cluster of differentiation 256).
- Function 1
- Interactions 2
- References 3
- Further reading 4
- External links 5
The protein encoded by this gene is a member of the tumor necrosis factor ligand (TNF) ligand family. This protein is a ligand for TNFRSF17/BCMA, a member of the TNF receptor family. This protein and its receptor are both found to be important for B cell development. In vivo experiments suggest an important role for APRIL in the long-term survival of plasma cells in the bone marrow. Mice deficient in April showed a reduced ability to support plasma cell survival In vitro experiments suggested that this protein may be able to induce apoptosis through its interaction with other TNF receptor family proteins such as TNFRSF6/FAS and TNFRSF14/HVEM. Three alternatively spliced transcript variants of this gene encoding distinct isoforms have been reported.
- Hahne M, Kataoka T, Schroter M, Hofmann K, Irmler M, Bodmer JL, Schneider P, Bornand T, Holler N, French LE, Sordat B, Rimoldi D, Tschopp J (Oct 1998). "APRIL, a New Ligand of the Tumor Necrosis Factor Family, Stimulates Tumor Cell Growth". J Exp Med 188 (6): 1185–90.
- "Entrez Gene: TNFSF13 tumor necrosis factor (ligand) superfamily, member 13".
- Wu Y, Bressette D, Carrell JA, Kaufman T, Feng P, Taylor K, Gan Y, Cho YH, Garcia AD, Gollatz E, Dimke D, LaFleur D, Migone TS, Nardelli B, Wei P, Ruben SM, Ullrich SJ, Olsen HS, Kanakaraj P, Moore PA, Baker KP (November 2000). "Tumor necrosis factor (TNF) receptor superfamily member TACI is a high affinity receptor for TNF family members APRIL and BLyS". J. Biol. Chem. 275 (45): 35478–85.
- Roschke V, Sosnovtseva S, Ward CD, Hong JS, Smith R, Albert V, Stohl W, Baker KP, Ullrich S, Nardelli B, Hilbert DM, Migone TS (October 2002). "BLyS and APRIL form biologically active heterotrimers that are expressed in patients with systemic immune-based rheumatic diseases". J. Immunol. 169 (8): 4314–21.
- Bossen C, Schneider P (2007). "BAFF, APRIL and their receptors: structure, function and signaling". Semin. Immunol. 18 (5): 263–75.
- Tangye SG, Bryant VL, Cuss AK, Good KL (2007). "BAFF, APRIL and human B cell disorders". Semin. Immunol. 18 (5): 305–17.
- Treml LS, Crowley JE, Cancro MP (2007). "BLyS receptor signatures resolve homeostatically independent compartments among naïve and antigen-experienced B cells". Semin. Immunol. 18 (5): 297–304.
- Mackay F, Leung H (2007). "The role of the BAFF/APRIL system on T cell function". Semin. Immunol. 18 (5): 284–9.
- Maruyama K, Sugano S (1994). "Oligo-capping: a simple method to replace the cap structure of eukaryotic mRNAs with oligoribonucleotides". Gene 138 (1–2): 171–4.
- Suzuki Y, Yoshitomo-Nakagawa K, Maruyama K, et al. (1997). "Construction and characterization of a full length-enriched and a 5'-end-enriched cDNA library". Gene 200 (1–2): 149–56.
- Shu HB, Hu WH, Johnson H (1999). "TALL-1 is a novel member of the TNF family that is down-regulated by mitogens". J. Leukoc. Biol. 65 (5): 680–3.
- Cousin P, Billotte J, Chaubert P, Shaw P (2000). "Physical map of 17p13 and the genes adjacent to p53". Genomics 63 (1): 60–8.
- Kelly K, Manos E, Jensen G, et al. (2000). "APRIL/TRDL-1, a tumor necrosis factor-like ligand, stimulates cell death". Cancer Res. 60 (4): 1021–7.
- Wu Y, Bressette D, Carrell JA, et al. (2001). "Tumor necrosis factor (TNF) receptor superfamily member TACI is a high affinity receptor for TNF family members APRIL and BLyS". J. Biol. Chem. 275 (45): 35478–85.
- Yu G, Boone T, Delaney J, et al. (2001). "APRIL and TALL-I and receptors BCMA and TACI: system for regulating humoral immunity". Nat. Immunol. 1 (3): 252–6.
- Gallouzi IE, Brennan CM, Steitz JA (2001). "Protein ligands mediate the CRM1-dependent export of HuR in response to heat shock". RNA 7 (9): 1348–61.
- López-Fraga M, Fernández R, Albar JP, Hahne M (2002). "Biologically active APRIL is secreted following intracellular processing in the Golgi apparatus by furin convertase". EMBO Rep. 2 (10): 945–51.
- Stein JV, López-Fraga M, Elustondo FA, et al. (2002). "APRIL modulates B and T cell immunity". J. Clin. Invest. 109 (12): 1587–98.
- Litinskiy MB, Nardelli B, Hilbert DM, et al. (2002). "DCs induce CD40-independent immunoglobulin class switching through BLyS and APRIL". Nat. Immunol. 3 (9): 822–9.
- Roschke V, Sosnovtseva S, Ward CD, et al. (2002). "BLyS and APRIL form biologically active heterotrimers that are expressed in patients with systemic immune-based rheumatic diseases". J. Immunol. 169 (8): 4314–21.
- Pradet-Balade B, Medema JP, López-Fraga M, et al. (2002). "An endogenous hybrid mRNA encodes TWE-PRIL, a functional cell surface TWEAK–APRIL fusion protein". EMBO J. 21 (21): 5711–20.
- Strausberg RL, Feingold EA, Grouse LH, et al. (2003). "Generation and initial analysis of more than 15,000 full-length human and mouse cDNA sequences". Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 99 (26): 16899–903.
- Clark HF, Gurney AL, Abaya E, et al. (2003). "The Secreted Protein Discovery Initiative (SPDI), a Large-Scale Effort to Identify Novel Human Secreted and Transmembrane Proteins: A Bioinformatics Assessment". Genome Res. 13 (10): 2265–70.
- TNFSF13 protein, human at the US National Library of Medicine Medical Subject Headings (MeSH)