12th arrondissement of Paris
|12th arrondissement of Paris|
|French municipal arrondissement|
The 12th arrondissement's town hall
Paris and its closest suburbs
|• Mayor||Michèle Blumenthal|
|• Total||6.38 km2 (2.46 sq mi)|
|Population (8 March 1999 census)|
|• Estimate (2005)||138,300|
|• Density||21,000/km2 (55,000/sq mi)|
|^[p] Population sans doubles comptes: single count of residents of multiple communes (e.g. students and military personnel).|
The 12th arrondissement contains the Opéra de la Bastille, the second largest opera house in Paris. It was inaugurated in 1989, on the 200th anniversary of the storming of the Bastille. The Bois de Vincennes is also located in this arrondissement.
- Geography 1
- Historical population 2.1
- Immigration 2.2
- Economy 3
- Education 4
- Map 5
- Places of interest 6
- References and footnotes 7
- External links 8
The land area of this arrondissement is 16.324 km2 (6.303 sq. miles, or 4,034 acres), two-thirds of which consists of the Bois de Vincennes park. Excluding the Bois de Vincennes, its land area is 6.377 km2 (2.462 sq. miles, or 1,576 acres).
The peak of population of Paris's 12th arrondissement occurred in 1962 and was followed by three decades of decline. Recently, however, the population has begun to grow again, since the restructuring of the 1990s. As of the last census, in 1999, the population was 136,591 inhabitants. The same census showed that the 12th arrondissement, heavily involved in business activity, contained 112,336 jobs, mainly around the new district of Bercy.
(of French censuses)
(inh. per km2)
|1962 (peak of population)||161,574||25,337|
Lycée Paul Valéry (FR) is located in this arrondissement.
Places of interest
- Place de la Bastille (shared by the 4th, 11th and 12th arrondissements)
- Bois de Vincennes
- Jardin du Bassin de l'Arsenal
- Cimetière de Picpus
- Musée des Arts Forains
- Palais de la Porte Dorée (Cité nationale de l'histoire de l'immigration)
- Palais Omnisports de Paris-Bercy
- Parc de Bercy
- Paris Zoological Park (also known as Zoo de Vincennes)
- Promenade plantée
- Viaduc des arts
References and footnotes
- Excluding Bois de Vincennes
- "Derichebourg contacts." Derichebourg Group. Retrieved on 13 September 2011. "Head office details: Derichebourg 119, Av. du Général Michel Bizot 75579 PARIS Cedex 12"
- "Contact Us: Global Engineering and Construction." Foster Wheeler. Retrieved on 30 December 2011. "40, avenue des Terroirs de France 75012 Paris France "
- 12th arrondissement travel guide from Wikivoyage
- websiteMairie 12 (in French)