1962 Detroit Lions season
|1962 Detroit Lions season|
|Head coach||George Wilson|
|Home field||Tiger Stadium|
|Division place||2nd NFL Western|
|Playoff finish||Won Playoff Bowl|
The 1962 Detroit Lions season was the 33rd season in franchise history. Finishing two games behind the eventual NFL Champion Packers in the NFL Western Division, it won the third annual Playoff Bowl game against the Pittsburgh Steelers, 17–10.
The Lions never trailed by more than seven points at any point in any game during the season, a feat that wouldn’t be repeated for 48 years. Their Week 11 win over the Packers denied them the NFL’s first true perfect season.
|1||10 ||John Hadl ||Back||Kansas|
|1||September 16, 1962||Pittsburgh Steelers||W 45–7||
|2||September 23, 1962||San Francisco 49ers||W 45–24||
|3||September 30, 1962||at Baltimore Colts||W 29–20||
|4||October 7, 1962||at Green Bay Packers||L 9–7||
|5||October 14, 1962||Los Angeles Rams||W 13–10||
|6||October 21, 1962||at New York Giants||L 17–14||
|7||October 28, 1962||Chicago Bears||W 11–3||
|8||November 4, 1962||at Los Angeles Rams||W 12–3||
|9||November 11, 1962||at San Francisco 49ers||W 38–24||
|10||November 18, 1962||at Minnesota Vikings||W 17–6||
|11||November 22, 1962||Green Bay Packers||W 26–14||
|12||December 2, 1962||Baltimore Colts||W 21–14||
|13||December 9, 1962||Minnesota Vikings||W 37–23||
|14||December 16, 1962||at Chicago Bears||L 3–0||
|Green Bay Packers||13||1||0||.929||415||148||W-3|
|San Francisco 49ers||6||8||0||.429||282||331||L-2|
|Los Angeles Rams||1||12||1||.077||220||334||L-3|
The game was played at the Orange Bowl in Miami, Florida.
|1962||January 6, 1963||Detroit Lions (3)||17–10||Pittsburgh Steelers||
Awards and records
- The Lions were only the third NFL team since 1940 that never trailed by more than 7 points at any time during the season. This feat would not be repeated again until the Green Bay Packers did so in their Super Bowl-winning 2010 season.
- NFL 2001 Record and Fact Book, Workman Publishing Co, New York,NY, ISBN 0-7611-2480-2, p. 395
- John Hadl Signed with the San Diego Chargers of the American Football League
- NFL 2001 Record and Fact Book, Workman Publishing Co, New York,NY, ISBN 0-7611-2480-2, p. 369
- Stuart, Chase (January 26, 2011). "Super Bowl notes: Stat of the Year and Updated SRS Standings". Pro Football Reference Blog. Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved February 6, 2011.
- Associated Press (February 6, 2011). "Aaron Rodgers tosses 3 TD passes as Packers drop Steelers to win Super Bowl XLV". ESPN.com. Archived from the original on 25 February 2011. Retrieved February 6, 2011. See especially the "Scoring Summary" section, which shows that the Packers never trailed in the game.
- Detroit Lions on Pro Football Reference
- Detroit Lions on jt-sw.com
- Detroit Lions on The Football Database