1997 Ryder Cup
|32nd Ryder Cup Matches|
|Dates||26–28 September 1997|
|Venue||Valderrama Golf Club|
Seve Ballesteros (Europe)
Tom Kite (USA)
|Europe wins the Ryder Cup|
The 32nd Ryder Cup Matches were held at the Valderrama Golf Club in Sotogrande, Spain, marking the first time the event was contested in continental Europe. The European team won the competition by a margin of 14½ to 13½ and retained the Ryder Cup.
The Europeans held a 10½–5½ lead heading into the final day, but the Americans mounted a comeback by winning the singles matches 8–4 but fell just short. Colin Montgomerie halved the final match with Scott Hoch (conceding a 15-foot (4.6 m) par putt on the final hole) to seal the outright victory for the Europeans.
This was the first of five consecutive victories at home by Europe, a streak that remains intact through 2014.
- Day 1 (Friday) — 4 fourball (better ball) matches in a morning session and 4 foursome (alternate shot) matches in an afternoon session
- Day 2 (Saturday) — 4 fourball matches in a morning session and 4 foursome matches in an afternoon session
- Day 3 (Sunday) — 12 singles matches
With a total of 28 points, 14½ points were required to win the Cup, and 14 points were required for the defending champion to retain the Cup. All matches were played to a maximum of 18 holes.
The selection process for the European team remained largely unchanged from that used in 1995 with two captain's picks. If captain Ballesteros qualified automatically, he had the choice of standing down and selecting a third player. The qualifying period remained the same, starting with the Canon European Masters in Switzerland at the beginning of September 1996 and ending with the BMW International Open on 31 August, the remaining two team members being chosen soon afterwards by the team captain. Prior to the final event Miguel Ángel Martín was in 10th place in the points list. He had, however, not played since the The Open Championship because of a wrist injury. In the final event both José María Olazábal and Pádraig Harrington had chances to overtake Martin but neither succeeded. Olazábal finished 11th in the final points list with Harrington 12th. Because of uncertainty about Martin's fitness, the announcement of the two captain's picks, which was to have been immediately after the BMW International Open, was cancelled. On the Tuesday Martin was given an ultimatum that he was required to play 18 holes the following day to demonstrate that he would be fit to play in the Ryder Cup. Martin refused and was replaced by Olazábal, who had finished in the next qualifying place. Ballesteros announced his wildcards on the Thursday, choosing Nick Faldo and Jesper Parnevik. Miguel Ángel Martín had a world ranking of 79 at the time of the Ryder Cup.
|Seve Ballesteros||40||Non-playing captain|
|José María Olazábal||31||11||57||4||20||12–6–2||65.00|
Captains picks are shown in yellow; the world rankings and records are at the start of the 1997 Ryder Cup.
|Tom Kite||47||Non-playing captain|
|Davis Love III||33||4||10||2||9||5–4–0||55.56|
|Olazábal/Rocca||1 up||Love III/Mickelson|
|Montgomerie/Langer||3 & 2||Woods/O'Meara|
|Langer/Montgomerie||5 & 3||O'Meara/Woods|
|Faldo/Westwood||3 & 2||Leonard/Maggert|
|Montgomerie/Clarke||1 up||Couples/Love III|
|Woosnam/Bjørn||2 & 1||Leonard/Faxon|
|Faldo/Westwood||2 & 1||Woods/O'Meara|
|Faldo/Westwood||2 & 1||Hoch/Maggert|
|Olazábal/Rocca||5 & 4||Love III/Couples|
Sunday's singles matches
|Ian Woosnam||8 & 7||Fred Couples|
|Per-Ulrik Johansson||3 & 2||Davis Love III|
|Costantino Rocca||4 & 2||Tiger Woods|
|Thomas Bjørn||halved||Justin Leonard|
|Darren Clarke||2 & 1||Phil Mickelson|
|Jesper Parnevik||5 & 4||Mark O'Meara|
|José María Olazábal||1 up||Lee Janzen|
|Bernhard Langer||2 & 1||Brad Faxon|
|Lee Westwood||3 & 2||Jeff Maggert|
|Colin Montgomerie||halved||Scott Hoch|
|Nick Faldo||3 & 2||Jim Furyk|
|Ignacio Garrido||7 & 6||Tom Lehman|
Individual player records
Each entry refers to the Win–Loss–Half record of the player.
|José María Olazábal||2.5||2–2–1||0–1–0||1–1–0||1–0–1|
|Davis Love III||0||0–4–0||0–1–0||0–1–0||0–2–0|
- "Ballesteros at home in captain's role". The Times, February 23, 1996; pg. 40; Issue 65510.
- "Ballesteros is forced to play waiting game". The Times, September 1, 1997; pg. 56; Issue 65983.
- "Europe rule out Martin". The Times, September 3, 1997; pg. 48; Issue 65985.
- "Ryder Cup call goes to Faldo and Parnevik". The Times, September 5, 1997; pg. 44; Issue 65987.
- Sirak, Ron (August 20, 1997). "Kite should have picked himself for Ryder Cup". Lodi News-Sentinel. Associated Press. p. 19.
- "2014 Ryder Cup Media and Players' Guide". Retrieved October 5, 2014.
- "Ryder Cup 2006 » History » 1997 Results". The PGA of America, Ryder Cup Limited, and Turner Sports Interactive. Retrieved 2007-03-14.
- "Ryder Cup – 1997". About:Golf. Retrieved 2007-03-14.
- "Ryder Cup history: 1997". BBC Sport. 13 September 2004. Retrieved 2007-03-14.
- "Ryder Cup Live Coverage from Golf in Spain in 1997". Golf in Spain. 27 August 2013.