|13th FINA World Championships|
|Host city||Rome, Italy|
|Date(s)||17 July-2 August 2009|
|Open water swimming|
The 2009 World Aquatics Championships or the XIII FINA World Championships were held in Rome, Italy from July 17 to August 2, 2009. The 2009 Championships featured competition in all 5 aquatics disciplines: diving, swimming, open water swimming, synchronized swimming and water polo.
A record 2556 athletes from 185 countries participated.
Medal tableHost nation
|●||Opening ceremony||Events||●||Final events||●||Closing ceremony|
|Open water swimming||2||2||2||6|
FINA Congress 2009
As is customary with the World Championships, FINA held its biennial General Congress in Rome during the event, on July 24, 2009 beginning at 9:00 a.m. At this meeting, the 22-member FINA Bureau (the executive board of the IF) was for its 2009-2013 term. Per FINA rules, the Bureau then elected the Executive officers from its members (i.e. President, Treasurer and Secretary).
In addition to the General Congress, Technical Congresses (TCs), or discipline-specific meetings, will be in each present discipline, as well as an Extraordinary Congress on Masters Rules. Dates for these meetings are:
- July 15: Diving TC, Open Water TC
- July 16: Synchronized Swimming TC, Water Polo TC
- July 23: Swimming TC, Masters EC.
Note: The Technical Congresses were scheduled to be held prior to both the start of competition within the given disciple and before the General Congress. Also note: only swimming does not have competition on the date of the General Congress.
As a result, and the believed benefit from the suits, some were calling these Worlds the "Plastic Games". These materials, which include polyurethane, have been claimed by some quarters to be performance enhancing. This claim can be seen to be supported by the 43 World Records set in this meet and by the fact that meet records were lowered in 38 of 40 events, with the 2 events not with new meet records occurring on the last day (in the previous 2 Worlds, "Championships Records" were bettered in 24 (2007) and 19 (2003) events). In particular, the Arena X-Glide swimsuit, worn by German Paul Biedermann, has been largely pointed to as providing Biedermann a significant advantage and allowing him to break Ian Thorpe's 400m world record as well as in defeating Michael Phelps in the 200m freestyle. Michael Phelps' coach, Bob Bowman, pointed out, "It took me five years to get Michael from 1:46 to 1:42 and this guy has done it in 11 months. That's an amazing training performance. I'd like to know how to do that." Last year, Biederman was only ranked 9th in the world in the 200 m freestyle and 21st in the world in the 400 m freestyle.
- PR52 - 13th FINA WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS - Record of participation in Rome (ITA) from the FINA website (www.fina.org); retrieved 2009-07-13. Archived 2009-09-08.
- Amy Shipley (August 3, 2009). "More Questions Than Answers at Swimming World Championships". The Washington Post. Archived from the original on 2009-09-08. Retrieved 2009-08-12.
- KAREN CROUSE (August 3, 2009). "Redefining Fast at the ‘Plastic Games’". The New York Times. Retrieved August 4, 2009.
- FINA Calendar: July 2009 j, from the FINA website (www.fina.org) retrieved 2009-07-06.
- FINA Bureau page from the FINA website (www.fina.org); retrieved 2009-07-06.
- PR21 - FINA Bureau Meeting published by FINA on 2009-03-14; retrieved 2009-08-12. Archived 2009-09-08.
- PR37 - FINA Commission for Swimwear Approval published by FINA on 2009-05-18; retrieved 2009-08-12.
- PR46 - FINA Executive Meeting / Swimsuits published by FINA on 2009-06-22; retrieved 2009-08-12.
- FINA General Congress report issued by FINA, on 2009-07-24; retrieved 2009-08-12. Archived 2009-09-08.
- Shipley, Amy (2009-07-29). "FINA Says Suit Ban Could Be Delayed". The Washington Post. Retrieved 2009-08-12.
- PR59 - FINA BUREAU MEETING (FINA Press Release 2009-59), published by FINA on 2009-07-31, retrieved 2009-08-12.
- "Swimming's fabric unravels with suit farce". 2009-07-29. Retrieved 2009-08-12.
- Nicole Jeffery (July 30, 2009). "Michael Phelps boycott threat over suit war".
- Official Website (www.roma09.it) (Italian) (English)
- Swim Rankings results (Archived 2009-09-08)
2007 FINA World Championships
2009 FINA World Championships
2011 FINA World Championships
2009 World Aquatics Championships
This category has the following 3 subcategories, out of 3 total.
Pages in category "2009 World Aquatics Championships"
The following 30 pages are in this category, out of 30 total.