Although he wrote a major biographical work on scholars, very little is known about his life, including the dates of his birth and death.
It appears that he was alive in AD 1288.
For his life and writings, see:
- P. Lory, "Shahrazuri" in The Encyclopaedia of Islam, 2nd edition, ed. by H.A.R. Gibbs, B. Lewis, Ch. Pellat, C. Bosworth et al., 11 vols. (Leiden: E.J. Brill, 1960-2002), vol. 9, p. 219
- Manfred Ullmann, Die Medizin im Islam, Handbuch der Orientalistik, Abteilung I, Erg?nzungsband vi, Abschnitt 1 (Leiden: E.J. Brill, 1970), p. 232
- Carl Brockelmann, Geschichte der arabischen Litteratur, Supplement, 3 vols. (Leiden: Brill, 1937-1942) vol. 1, pp 850-1
- Sami Hamarneh, "Arabic Historiography as Related to the Health Professions in Medieval Islam", Sudhoffs Archiv, vol. 50 (1966), pp 2-24, esp. pp 17-18.
- Edward Granville Browne, Islamic Medicine, 2002, Goodword Pub., ISBN 81-87570-19-9
- Michael Privot, Le Kitâb al-rumûz d'al-Shahrazûrî: une oeuvre ishrâqî? (PhD Thesis)