Anderton Court Shops
|Location||Beverly Hills, California|
|Architect||Frank Lloyd Wright|
|NRHP Reference #||03000987|
|Added to NRHP||May 14, 2004|
In 1952, Frank Lloyd Wright completed his last Los Angeles building, the Anderton Court Shops, a small three-story group of shops on fashionable Rodeo Drive in the downtown section of Beverly Hills, California.
The entrance to all the shops is off of an angular ramp which wraps around an open parallelogram as it leads upward to the shops. Four shops were envisioned with the penthouse space, an apartment. Like the Marin Civic Center, this is another example of a secular Wright building with a "steeple". The inverted “V” front elevation stands out in sharp contrast to its traditional, flat-front urban neighbors.
Since the Anderton Court Center's completion, the space has been subdivided. Today the complex consists of six small shops; three on each side, each staggered a half-floor from one another and offset by the ramp. The facade, which was once light buff with oxidized-copper-color trim, has been painted white with black detailing. Today's canopy and signage are later additions, not consistent with Wright's original design.
The Anderton Court Shops are on the National Register of Historic Places..
- History of the National Register of Historic Places
- List of National Historic Landmarks by state
- State Historic Preservation Office
- List of Registered Historic Places in Los Angeles County, California
- "National Register of Historical Places - CALIFORNIA - Los Angeles". National Park Service.
- Storrer, William Allin. The Frank Lloyd Wright Companion. University Of Chicago Press, 2006, ISBN 0-226-77621-2 (S.356)
- Anderton Court Shops on peterbeers.net
- Anderton Court Shops on waymarking.com
- Office of Historic Preservation - California State Parks
- SEARCHING OUT WRIGHT'S IMPRINT IN LOS ANGELES
- Photo on Arcaid