Anthony Martin Sinatra
|Anthony Martin Sinatra|
Saverio Antonino Martino Sinatra
May 4, 1892
Lercara Friddi, province of Palermo, Sicily, Italy
January 24, 1969
Houston, Texas, U.S.
|Desert Memorial Park, Cathedral City, California, United States|
|Known for||Father of Frank Sinatra|
Anthony Martin Sinatra (Lercara Friddi, Italy May 4, 1892 – January 24, 1969), born Saverio Antonino Martino Sinatra,:22 was a Hoboken city fireman, professional boxer, bar owner, and father of singer and actor Frank Sinatra.
On December 21, 1903, he emigrated to New York City from Palermo, Sicily, on the SS Città di Milano with his mother Rosa Sagliabeni Sinatra and his sisters Angela and Dorotea. His father Francesco, born in Lercara Friddi, was already in the city working in a pencil factory earning eleven dollars a week, and his mother went on to own and operate a small grocery shop. Sinatra himself apprenticed as a shoemaker, until he started prize-fighting, calling himself Marty O'Brien, because Italians were not welcomed in the fight game.
On February 14, 1914, Sinatra eloped with Natalie Garaventa:25 (also known as "Dolly"), to Jersey City, New Jersey, as Dolly's parents refused to host a wedding and did not approve of Marty, as he was illiterate, inferior at boxing, and was a Sicilian, whereas the Garaventa family were Ligurian.
Sinatra continued his boxing career, until he broke his wrists after 30 professional fights. He then attempted to find marine work, but was rejected due to asthma. Dolly helped him find work as a fireman, and he was eventually appointed to the Hoboken Fire Department in 1927, where he attained the rank of Captain without having to take any formal exams.
While still a Captain in the fire department, Sinatra and his wife opened a tavern, called Marty O'Brien's. With sufficient income, the family of three moved to a three-bedroom apartment, only a few blocks away from Monroe Street, but well out of Little Italy, at 705 Park Avenue.
Sinatra suffered a fatal heart attack in 1969 at a Houston hospital. He was buried at the Desert Memorial Park in Cathedral City, California; other family members, including Frank Sinatra and Anthony's wife are buried nearby.
- Summers, Anthony; Swan, Robbyn (2005). Sinatra: The Life. New York: Alfred A. Knopf.
- http://sinatrafamily.com/nancysbook/ Frank Sinatra: My Father
- http://www.njboxinghof.org/cgi-bin/henryseehof.pl?420 New Jersey Hall Of Fame
- Kelley, Kitty (10 November 2010). His Way: An Unauthorized Biography Of Frank Sinatra. Random House Publishing Group. p. 334.
- Brooks, Patricia; Brooks, Jonathan (2006). "Chapter 8: East L.A. and the Desert". Laid to Rest in California: a guide to the cemeteries and grave sites of the rich and famous. Guilford, CT: Globe Pequot Press. p. 245.
- Donald Clarke's Frank Sinatra Biography
- "Anthony Martin Sinatra".
- Career records at BoxRec
- -Francesco Sinatra & Rosa Sagliabeni's Marriage Document Courtesy of Comune di Lercara Friddi, Palermo, Sicily, Italy & LDS