|Mission duration||15 years|
|Launch mass||3,635 kilograms (8,014 lb)|
|Start of mission|
|Launch date||August 30, 1998UTC|
|Launch site||Baikonur 81/23|
|Perigee||35,781 kilometres (22,233 mi)|
|Apogee||35,803 kilometres (22,247 mi)|
|Epoch||30 November 2014, 02:50:20 UTC|
32 Ku band
to be reduced to 28 as craft aged.
Astra 2A is one of the Astra communications satellites owned by SES. Launched in 1998 into the 28.2E orbital position, half its expected end-of-life capacity of 28 transponders were pre-booked by BSkyB, who utilised it to launch their new Sky Digital service. As of 2006, 21 transponders were active, including two active but unused; as of September 2013, 22 transponders are active.
When positioned at 28E, it joined DFS Kopernikus 1, which served mainly Eastern Europe. The satellite was the first of Astra's craft to never carry analogue television services (with the exception of a solitary test card in 1999), and as of 2006, carries standard definition digital television, digital radio, and high-definition digital television, as well as Sky Interactive streams and the AVC Broadband and Silvermead satellite internet services. Two beams "2A North" and "2A South" transmit on horizontal and vertical polarisation. The South beam covers almost all of Europe, with the North beam covering only Northern Europe at a high power.
- Astra 1N co-located satellite
- Astra 2D co-located satellite (inactive)
- Astra 2E co-located satellite
- Astra 2F co-located satellite
- Astra 28.2°E orbital position
- "ASTRA 2A Satellite details 1998-050A NORAD 25462". N2YO. 30 November 2014. Retrieved 30 November 2014.
- Astra 2A at 28.2°E Lyngsat. Accessed September 30, 2013
- The Satellite Encyclopaedia
- LyngSat (archived)
- Where markets grow via satellite: Our global satellite fleet SES January 2012
- Astra 2A Ku-band North Beam footprint(s)] at SatBeams
- Astra 2A Ku-band South Beam footprint(s)] at SatBeams
- SES guide to receiving Astra satellites
- SES guide to channels broadcasting on Astra satellites
- OnAstra - Official consumers/viewers' site
- SES - Official trade/industry site