|Municipality and town|
Municipality location in Jalisco
|• Total||962.9 km2 (371.8 sq mi)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
Autlán de Navarro is a city and its surrounding municipality of the same name in the Costa Sur region of the southwestern part of the state of Jalisco in Mexico. At the Mexican census of 2005, the city had a population of 53,269 inhabitants. The municipality has a surface area of 962.9 km² (371.78 sq mi). The mayor is Fernando Morán Guzmán (2010-2012).
The name comes from the Nahuatl language, Aotli (water way, water channel or water ditch) and Tlan (place of or near) and means "next to the water ditch."
Notable natives and residents
- Juan Corona, serial killer
- Jorge Santana, musicians
- Efren Montano-Plascencia, President of "Los Barritos"
- Link to tables of population data from Census of 2005 INEGI: Instituto Nacional de Estadística, Geografía e Informática
- Jalisco Enciclopedia de los Municipios de México
- Ayuntamiento Constitucional de Autlán de Navarro Official website