Bob Martin (golfer)
|— Golfer —|
|Full name||Robert Martin|
9 March 1917 (aged 64)
Best results in major championships
|The Open Championship||Won: 1876, 1885|
- Early life 1
- Golf career 2
- Death 3
Major championships 4
- Wins (2) 4.1
- Results timeline 4.2
- References 5
Martin was born at Cupar, Scotland circa 1853.
Martin was a frequent competitor in The Open Championship in the late 19th century. In total, he had ten top-10 finishes including wins in the 1876 and 1885 Open Championship tournaments.
|Year||Championship||18 holes||Winning score||Margin||Runner-up|
|1876||The Open Championship||Tied for lead||86-90=176||Playoff 1||Davie Strath|
|1885||The Open Championship (2)||1 shot deficit||84-87=171||1 stroke||Archie Simpson|
1 Strath failed to participate in the playoff, so Martin won by default.
|The Open Championship||T9||4||2||1||T8||T4||17|
|The Open Championship||DNP||4||T3||DNP||DNP||1||DNP||2||T15||DNP|
|The Open Championship||DNP||T32||DNP||DNP||DNP||WD|
- Note: Martin played only in The Open Championship.
DNP = Did not play
"T" indicates a tie for a place
Green background for wins
Yellow background for top-10
- "Deaths in the Parishes of St Andrews and St Leonards in the County of Fife". Statutory Deaths 453/00 0032.
- "Golf - Death of ex-champion at St Andrews". The Glasgow Herald. 12 March 1917. p. 11.
- "Death of old golf champion". The Times. 12 March 1917. p. 2.
- "Foreign Notes - by our British correspondent: London, April 10, 1917" (PDF). The American Golfer (
- "St Andrews — 1876". opengolf.com. Retrieved 17 July 2010.