|CD59 molecule, complement regulatory protein|
PDB rendering based on 1cdq.
|Symbols||; 16.3A5; 1F5; EJ16; EJ30; EL32; G344; HRF-20; HRF20; MAC-IP; MACIF; MEM43; MIC11; MIN1; MIN2; MIN3; MIRL; MSK21; p18-20|
|RNA expression pattern|
CD59 attaches to host cells via a glycophosphatidylinositol (GPI) anchor. When complement activation leads to deposition of C5b678 on host cells, CD59 can prevent C9 from polymerizing and forming the complement membrane attack complex. Mutations affecting GPI that reduce expression of CD59 and decay-accelerating factor on red blood cells result in paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria.
- "Entrez Gene: CD59 molecule, complement regulatory protein".
- Huang Y, Qiao F, Abagyan R, Hazard S, Tomlinson S (September 2006). "Defining the CD59-C9 binding interaction". J. Biol. Chem. 281 (37): 27398–27404.
- Parker C, Omine M, Richards S, et al. (2005). "Diagnosis and management of paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria". Blood 106 (12): 3699–709.
- Bohana-Kashtan O, Ziporen L, Donin N, Kraus S, Fishelson Z (July 2004). "Cell signals transduced by complement". Mol. Immunol. 41 (6–7): 583–597.
- Tandon N, Morgan BP, Weetman AP (1992). "Expression and function of membrane attack complex inhibitory proteins on thyroid follicular cells". Immunology 75 (2): 372–7.
- Holmes CH, Simpson KL, Okada H et al. (1992). "Complement regulatory proteins at the feto-maternal interface during human placental development: distribution of CD59 by comparison with membrane cofactor protein (CD46) and decay accelerating factor (CD55)". Eur. J. Immunol. 22 (6): 1579–1585.
- Hahn WC, Menu E, Bothwell AL et al. (1992). "Overlapping but nonidentical binding sites on CD2 for CD58 and a second ligand CD59". Science 256 (5065): 1805–1807.
- Ninomiya H, Sims PJ (1992). "The human complement regulatory protein CD59 binds to the alpha-chain of C8 and to the "b"domain of C9". J. Biol. Chem. 267 (19): 13675–80.
- Petranka JG, Fleenor DE, Sykes K et al. (1992). "Structure of the CD59-encoding gene: further evidence of a relationship to murine lymphocyte antigen Ly-6 protein". Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 89 (17): 7876–7879.
- Motoyama N, Okada N, Yamashina M, Okada H (1992). "Paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria due to hereditary nucleotide deletion in the HRF20 (CD59) gene". Eur. J. Immunol. 22 (10): 2669–2673.
- Rooney IA, Morgan BP (1992). "Characterization of the membrane attack complex inhibitory protein CD59 antigen on human amniotic cells and in amniotic fluid". Immunology 76 (4): 541–7.
- Tone M, Walsh LA, Waldmann H (1992). "Gene structure of human CD59 and demonstration that discrete mRNAs are generated by alternative polyadenylation". J. Mol. Biol. 227 (3): 971–976.
- Philbrick WM, Palfree RG, Maher SE et al. (1990). "The CD59 antigen is a structural homologue of murine Ly-6 antigens but lacks interferon inducibility". Eur. J. Immunol. 20 (1): 87–92.
- Sawada R, Ohashi K, Anaguchi H et al. (1990). "Isolation and expression of the full-length cDNA encoding CD59 antigen of human lymphocytes". DNA Cell Biol. 9 (3): 213–220.
- Yamashina M, Ueda E, Kinoshita T et al. (1990). "Inherited complete deficiency of 20-kilodalton homologous restriction factor (CD59) as a cause of paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria". N. Engl. J. Med. 323 (17): 1184–1189.
- Rooney IA, Morgan BP (1991). "Protection of human amniotic epithelial cells (HAEC) from complement-mediated lysis: expression on the cells of three complement inhibitory membrane proteins". Immunology 71 (3): 308–11.
- Watts MJ, Dankert JR, Morgan EP (1990). "Isolation and characterization of a membrane-attack-complex-inhibiting protein present in human serum and other biological fluids". Biochem. J. 265 (2): 471–7.
- Okada H, Nagami Y, Takahashi K et al. (1989). "20 KDa homologous restriction factor of complement resembles T cell activating protein". Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 162 (3): 1553–1559.
- Davies A, Simmons DL, Hale G et al. (1989). "CD59, an LY-6-like protein expressed in human lymphoid cells, regulates the action of the complement membrane attack complex on homologous cells". J. Exp. Med. 170 (3): 637–654.
- Sawada R, Ohashi K, Okano K et al. (1989). "Complementary DNA sequence and deduced peptide sequence for CD59/MEM-43 antigen, the human homologue of murine lymphocyte antigen Ly-6C". Nucleic Acids Res. 17 (16): 6728–6728.
- Sugita Y, Tobe T, Oda E et al. (1990). "Molecular cloning and characterization of MACIF, an inhibitor of membrane channel formation of complement". J. Biochem. 106 (4): 555–7.
- Bora NS, Gobleman CL, Atkinson JP et al. (1994). "Differential expression of the complement regulatory proteins in the human eye". Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 34 (13): 3579–84.
- Kieffer B, Driscoll PC, Campbell ID et al. (1994). "Three-dimensional solution structure of the extracellular region of the complement regulatory protein CD59, a new cell-surface protein domain related to snake venom neurotoxins". Biochemistry 33 (15): 4471–4482.
- Kennedy SP, Rollins SA, Burton WV et al. (1994). "Protection of porcine aortic endothelial cells from complement-mediated cell lysis and activation by recombinant human CD59". Transplantation 57 (10): 1494–501.
- CD59 Antigen at the US National Library of Medicine Medical Subject Headings (MeSH)