She was appointed a member of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences in 2012.
In 2015 she was one of four winners of the Dutch Spinoza Prize, the highest Dutch distinction for academics working in the Netherlands. The award comprises €2.5 million. She was awarded the prize mainly for her research into the genetic factors associated with coeliac disease. She has also shown that several autoimmune diseases share common genetic factors.
- "Cisca Wijmenga" (in Dutch).
- "NWO-Spinozapremies voor René Janssen, Birgit Meyer, Aad van der Vaart en Cisca Wijmenga" (in Dutch).
- "'"Spinozawinnaar: 'Onderzoek glutenintolerantie kwestie van lange adem (in Dutch).
- "Prof. dr. T.N. (Cisca) Wijmenga" (in Dutch). Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research. 12 June 2015. Retrieved 24 June 2015.
- Profile at University of Groningen