Diphallia, penile duplication (PD), diphallic terata, or diphallasparatus, is a rare medical condition in which a male infant is born with two penes. The first reported case was by Johannes Jacob Wecker in 1609. Its occurrence is 1 in 5.5 million men in the United States.
When diphallia is present, it is usually accompanied by renal, vertebral, hindgut, anorectal or other congenital anomalies. There is also a higher risk of spina bifida. Infants born with PD and its related conditions have a higher death rate from various infections associated with their more complex renal or colorectal systems.
It is thought diphallia occurs in the fetus between the 23rd and 25th days of gestation when an injury, chemical stress, or malfunctioning homeobox genes hamper proper function of the caudal cell mass of the fetal mesoderm as the urogenital sinus separates from the genital tubercle and rectum to form the penis.
- Notes 1
- See also 2
- References 3
- External links 4
- A scientific paper of triphallia (3 penises) in a marine snail was reported.
- Sharma KK, Jain R, Jain SK, Purohit A (2000). "Concealed diphallus :a Case report and review of the literature". Journal of Indian Association of Pediatric Surgeons 5 (1): 18–21. Archived from the original on 2000.
- Mirshemirani, AR; Sadeghyian, N; Mohajerzadeh, L; Molayee, H; Ghaffari, P (2010). "Diphallus: Report on six cases and review of the literature". Iranian journal of pediatrics 20 (3): 353–7.
- "Indian man wants op to remove extra organ". Reuters. 19 August 2006. Archived from the original on 22 January 2007. Retrieved 2006-08-18.
- Castillo, Viviana M; Brown, Donald I (2012). "One Case of Triphallia in the Marine Snail Echinolittorina peruviana (Caenogastropoda: Littorinidae)". International Journal of Morphology 30 (3): 791.
- Diphallia Medical Case Report
- Man With 2 Penises, Woman With 2 Vaginas Were the Sexiest Couple of the 19th Century (contains photos with nudity)
2 Jan 2014 interview: Man with two penises answers questions
- 2 Jan 2014 Man 'With Two Penises' Reveals All On Reddit article by Huffington Post (updated January 23, retrieved May 15)