Don M Stromquist House
The Don M. Stromquist House, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, is located on a ten-acre site in Bountiful, Utah. At an altitude of , it consists of the main house, an office/laboratory/garage annex, a gardener's shed and a barn. It is sited halfway down an arroyo or canyon wall. The house has an endless view of the Great Salt Lake and Antelope Island.
Frank Lloyd Wright designed the house on a grid of 60 and 120 degree angles which formed a series of parallelograms. The grid lines are poured in the concrete floors, and the ceiling has the same grid lines reflected in small strips of wood. The house is constructed from salmon colored concrete-blocks, steel beams, glass and Philippine mahogany.
Wright drew up plans for the furniture, further unifying the look with a dining room table, the lines of which mirror the grid in the floor, built-in settees, lamp tables and book shelves. Freestanding furniture designed by Wright, included a coffee table and hassocks. Even the fireplace tools, with half-diamond shapes on the handles, were designed by the architect.
The main house features three small bedrooms, two granite-clad (an addition Stromquist made after he repurchased the home) bathrooms, a kitchen, semi-formal dining, laundry, utility room, two fireplaces, and two balconies. Clerestory windows provide natural lighting. The master bedroom has its own fireplace and French doors that lead to a secluded balcony. Heating is provided by a combined radiant/forced air system that utilizes two natural gass furnaces, which was designed by Wesley Peters, Wright's son-in-law and chief engineer.
As a boy, Don Stromquist had attended a speech by Frank Lloyd Wright, and was impressed. When it was time for him to build a home, he asked Wright to design it. Construction on the home began in 1959 and was completed in 1961 at a cost of about $32,000.00, when Stromquist and his wife, Jane, were newlyweds. Wright died in 1959, before the house was completed. After living in the home for several years, the home was purchased by Mr. Stromquist's employeer, U.S. Steel, when Mr. Stromquist's position was relocated to the company's headquarters in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Thirty years later, the couple moved back to Utah to find that the house had been abandoned, vandalized, and eventually sold as horse property. George M. Frandsen and his partner, David A. Carlquist, both Utah natives, later bought the home and restored it to the details of the original architectural drawings. Taliesin Associated Architects