Eurasian cuisine of Singapore and Malaysia
The Eurasian cuisine is a 'fusion' cuisine, mainly existing still in Singapore and Malaysia. In general, Eurasians are people of any mixed European and Asian ancestry. However, if referring to Eurasian cuisine, usually the amalgation of Portuguese, Dutch, British, Chinese, Malay, and also Indian and Peranakan influences is meant. Within this cuisine, ingredients in European dishes are replaced or complemented by Asian ingredients. Conversely, European ingredients are used in Asian dishes.
For example, cream in European recipes is replaced by coconut cream and dried Chinese sausage (lap cheong) is used instead of chorizo. Also, the use of soy sauce, chilis and ginger is used interchangeably with vinegar, mustard and Worchestershire sauce.
There is no clear definition of what can be specified as Eurasian. Some dishes are also found in Indonesian, Malaysian and Chinese cuisines. By local adaptation(s), or by its ubiquitous presence within the Eurasian community, a dish is sometimes considered 'Eurasian'.
- Shepherd's pie (British): a traditional dish with meat and mashed potatoes with the addition of soy sauce, oyster sauce, Chinese mushrooms and garlic.
- Oxtail stew (British): a stew with cinnamon, soy sauce and star anise.
- Devil's curry (a.k.a curry debal) (Portuguese): chicken in a sauce of chilis, galangal, vinegar and kemiri nuts.
- Kueh kochi pulot hitam: a cake of black and white glutinous rice flour with a filling of mung beans or coconut.
- Cucumber salad with egg, lettuce, cilantro and chili chuka (a dip of chilis, sugar, vinegar, garlic, light soy sauce and ginger).
- Gomes, Mary (2009), 'The Eurasian Cookbook', Horizon Books, Singapore, ISBN 981-04-4344-7
- Hutton, Wendy (2003), 'eurasian favourites', Periplus Mini Cookbooks, Periplus, Singapore, ISBN 978-0-7946-0136-2
- Pereira, Quentin (2012), 'Eurasian Heritage Cooking', Marshall Cavendish Cuisine, Singapore, ISBN 978-981-4346-46-7
- D'Silva, Damian (2012), 'Rebel with a course', Ate, Singapore, ISBN 978 981 0703424