|Five Star Trail|
Westmoreland County in Pennsylvania
|Length||7.76 mi (12.5 km)|
|Location||Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania|
Youngwood, Pennsylvania, U.S.
Spur to Armbrust, Pennsylvania
|Use||Hiking, Biking, Jogging, Cross country skiing, Handicap access|
|Hazards||Severe Weather, Trains (adjacent to trail); Road Crossings|
|Website||Five Star Trail|
The Five Star Trail runs nearly 8 miles through Westmoreland County, in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania. The trail is alongside an active railroad track, Southwestern Pennsylvania Railroad, that stretches between Lynch Field, a Greensburg city park and Youngwood. The trail then spurs off eastward to connect with the campus of Westmoreland County Community College and continues on to Armbrust.
In 1995, the trail corridor was purchased from Conrail by The Westmoreland County Industrial Development Corporation. The municipalities of Greensburg, South Greensburg, Southwest Greensburg, Youngwood and Hempfield, along with The Westmoreland County Parks and Recreation Department are all partners in the trail project. The trail is named in honor of these five towns. The trail is kept clean by PA Cleanways. There are volunteers that help maintain the trail and there is a Poker Run held annually along the trail.
Points of interest
- Park at Lynch Field
- Sports complex in Greensburg
- Youngblood Trail Station (museum focused on local railroad history)
- Depot Street, (a 1.5-mile paved walkway with old rail cars, including a converted caboose)
Campus of Westmoreland County Community College
- (Park with pool, playground, a few war relics - including an Apache helicopter)
Parking and trail access
The trailhead is located at the Westmoreland County Community College, on College Avenue across from the baseball field. The trail is accessible to the handicapped and is pet friendly. Additionally, there are multiple access points located off Route 119:
- Greensburg at Lynch Field
- Huff Avenue
- Willow Crossing Road
- Trolley Line Avenue (Buncher Commerce Park)
- Depot Street in Youngwood.
- City of Greensburg Pennsylvania (Five Star Trail)
- Reviews at Local Hikes
- Regional Trail Corporation
- Map of Five Star Trail