Four Mile Run (Pittsburgh)
|Four Mile Run|
"The Run" was named for a stream—about four miles above The Point—that empties there into the Monongahela River. The neighborhood is distinctive because of its severe geographic isolation from the rest of the city. Essentially it is the southern portion of Junction Hollow that lies beneath the heavily-traveled Interstate 376, or Parkway East, which is elevated 85 feet above "The Run" via the 1,060 foot Four Mile Run Bridge. Even for Pittsburghers, it is a place driven over and seldom seen.
In the early 20th century many Rusyn immigrants from the Carpathian Mountains settled in Four Mile Run. Most came to work in Pittsburgh's steel industry, and the neighborhood was adjacent to a large steel mill of the Jones and Laughlin Steel Company. Thus they called their community "Ruska Dolina", which translates as Rusyn Valley. In 1910 they established a church there, St. John Chrysostom Byzantine Catholic Church. The parish is famous today as the childhood place of worship for the artist Andy Warhol and his family, who lived in nearby Oakland.
Today the stream Four Mile Run is piped underneath the neighborhood to the river.
- Photo of Four Mile Run Bridge above the neighborhood