Girls! Girls! Girls!
|Girls! Girls! Girls!|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Norman Taurog|
|Produced by||Hal B. Wallis|
|Screenplay by||Edward Anhalt|
|Story by||Allan Weiss|
|Music by||Joseph J. Lilley|
|Edited by||Stanley E. Johnson|
Hal Wallis Productions
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
|Box office||$2,600,000 (USA)|
Girls! Girls! Girls! is a 1962 American musical comedy film starring Elvis Presley as a penniless Hawaiian fisherman who loves his life on the sea and dreams of owning his own boat. "Return to Sender", which reached #2 on the Billboard pop singles chart, is featured in the movie. The movie opened at #6 on the Variety box office chart and finished the year at #31 on the year-end list of the top-grossing movies of 1962. The movie earned $2.6 million at the box office.
The film was the second of three films Presley shot on location in Hawaii.
- Plot 1
- Cast 2
- Soundtrack 3
- Awards and nominations 4.1
- Box office 4.2
- See also 5
- References 6
External links 7
- Movie reviews 7.1
- DVD reviews 7.2
Elvis Presley plays Ross Carpenter, a Hawaiian fishing guide and sailor who enjoys boating and sailing out on the sea. When he finds out his boss is retiring to Arizona, he seeks to find a way to buy the Westwind, a boat that he built with his father.
Ross is caught in a love triangle with two women: childish, insensitive club singer Robin (Stella Stevens), and sweet Laurel (Laurel Goodwin). When Wesley Johnson (Jeremy Slate) makes advances on Laurel, Ross punches him out. Wesley owns the boat, so Ross thereby loses it. Laurel, however, is not who she pretends to be. Ross has to choose between her and Robin.
- Elvis Presley as Ross Carpenter
- Stella Stevens as Robin Gantner
- Laurel Goodwin as Laurel Dodge
- Jeremy Slate as Wesley Johnson
- Benson Fong as Kin Yung
- Robert Strauss as Sam Anderson
- Jack Nitzsche as Piano Player in Lounge Band (uncredited)
- Linda Rand as Village Woman (uncredited)
- Edward Sheehan as Ed-Man on Dock (uncredited)
- Red West as Bongo-Playing Crewman on Tuna Boat (uncredited)
Awards and nominations
- Golden Globes: Nominated for Best Motion Picture - Musical at the 1963 ceremony. The winner that year was The Music Man. Elvis Presley received a 2nd place Laurel Award for the best male performance in a musical for his acting role in this movie.
Girls! Girls! Girls! earned $2,600,000 at the box office in the United States.
- "Girls! Girls! Girls!". The Numbers. Retrieved August 8, 2013.
- Michael A. Hoey, Elvis' Favorite Director: The Amazing 52-Film Career of Norman Taurog, Bear Manor Media 2013
- HFPA - Nominations and Winners
- Elvis Presley-Awards.
- Elvis in Hawaii fansite.
- Girls! Girls! Girls! at the Internet Movie Database
- Girls! Girls! Girls! at the TCM Movie Database
- Girls! Girls! Girls! at AllMovie
- Review by Jamie Gillies at Apollo Movie Guide
- Review of the movie collection "Lights! Camera! Elvis! Collection (King Creole, Blue Hawaii, G.I. Blues, Fun in Acapulco, Roustabout, Girls! Girls! Girls!, Paradise, Hawaiian Style, Easy Come, Easy Go) by Paul Mavis at DVD Talk, August 6, 2007.
- Review by Jon Danziger at digitallyOBSESSED!, February 3, 2003.