Hoffman Auto Showroom
The Hoffman Auto Showroom was a New York City automobile dealership office designed in 1954 by the celebrated U.S. architect Frank Lloyd Wright. The 3,600-square-foot (330 m2) space, which was located on the ground floor of 430 Park Avenue, an office tower at Park Avenue between East 55th and 56th Streets, was designed in glass and steel with a circular and sloping ramp for the automobile display; due to its limited floor space, it could only accommodate up to five automobiles at a time. Wright was commissioned to design the showroom by Max Hoffman, an importer of European luxury automobiles. When the building was commissioned its owner, Max Hoffmann, the son of a Vienna Rolls-Royce dealer, had intended to use it for his Jaguar dealership, but by the time it was completed he had moved on to Mercedes Benz and a large model of a leaping Jaguar had to be sent back to Coventry, the English manufacturer's home base. Since 1957, the space had been the home of Mercedes-Benz Manhattan.
In early April 2013, the building's owners, Midwood Investment & Management and Oestreicher Properties, demolished the showroom to make way for a TD Bank branch office.
- William Allin Storrer (2002). The Architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright: A Complete Catalog. University of Chicago Press. p. 384.
- Arlene Sanderson (2001). Wright Sites: A Guide to Frank Lloyd Wright Public Places. Princeton Architectural Press. p. 88.
- Allison Meier (April 16, 2013). "Frank Lloyd Wright’s auto showroom is no more". Hyperallergic. Retrieved June 4, 2013.