|Interferon, gamma-inducible protein 16|
PDB rendering based on 2oq0.
|Symbols||; IFNGIP1; PYHIN2|
|RNA expression pattern|
Gamma-interferon-inducible protein Ifi-16 (Ifi-16) also known as interferon-inducible myeloid differentiation transcriptional activator is a protein that in humans is encoded by the IFI16 gene.
This gene encodes a member of the HIN-200 (hematopoietic interferon-inducible nuclear antigens with 200 amino acid repeats) family of cytokines. The encoded protein contains domains involved in DNA binding, transcriptional regulation, and protein-protein interactions. The protein localizes to the nucleoplasm and nucleoli, and interacts with p53 and retinoblastoma-1. It modulates p53 function, and inhibits cell growth in the Ras/Raf signaling pathway. IFI16 has been shown to play a role in the sensing of intracellular DNA - a hallmark of virally infected cells - and has also been linked to HIV-infected helper T-cell pyroptosis.
- Trapani JA, Browne KA, Dawson MJ, Ramsay RG, Eddy RL, Show TB, White PC, Dupont B (Oct 1992). "A novel gene constitutively expressed in human lymphoid cells is inducible with interferon-gamma in myeloid cells". Immunogenetics 36 (6): 369–76.
- Trapani JA, Dawson M, Apostolidis VA, Browne KA (Dec 1994). "Genomic organization of IFI16, an interferon-inducible gene whose expression is associated with human myeloid cell differentiation: correlation of predicted protein domains with exon organization". Immunogenetics 40 (6): 415–24.
- "Entrez Gene: IFI16 interferon, gamma-inducible protein 16".
- Unterholzner L, Keating SE, Baran M, Horan KA, Jensen SB, Sharma S, Sirois CM, Jin T, Latz E, Xiao TS, Fitzgerald KA, Paludan SR, Bowie AG (2010). "IFI16 is an innate immune sensor for intracellular DNA". Nat. Immunol. 11 (11): 997–1004.
- Monroe KM, Yang Z, Johnson JR, Geng X, Doitsh G, Krogan NJ, Greene WC (2014). "IFI16 DNA sensor is required for death of lymphoid CD4 T cells abortively infected with HIV". Science 343 (6169): 428–32.
- Doitsh G, Galloway NL, Geng X, Yang Z, Monroe KM, Zepeda O, Hunt PW, Hatano H, Sowinski S, Muñoz-Arias I, Greene WC (2014). "Cell death by pyroptosis drives CD4 T-cell depletion in HIV-1 infection". Nature 505 (7484): 509–14.
- Dawson MJ, Trapani JA (1995). "IFI 16 gene encodes a nuclear protein whose expression is induced by interferons in human myeloid leukaemia cell lines.". J. Cell. Biochem. 57 (1): 39–51.
- Dawson MJ, Trapani JA, Briggs RC, et al. (1995). "The closely linked genes encoding the myeloid nuclear differentiation antigen (MNDA) and IFI16 exhibit contrasting haemopoietic expression.". Immunogenetics 41 (1): 40–3.
- Johnstone RW, Kerry JA, Trapani JA (1998). "The human interferon-inducible protein, IFI 16, is a repressor of transcription.". J. Biol. Chem. 273 (27): 17172–7.
- Johnstone RW, Kershaw MH, Trapani JA (1998). "Isotypic variants of the interferon-inducible transcriptional repressor IFI 16 arise through differential mRNA splicing.". Biochemistry 37 (34): 11924–31.
- Dawson MJ, Elwood NJ, Johnstone RW, Trapani JA (1998). "The IFN-inducible nucleoprotein IFI 16 is expressed in cells of the monocyte lineage, but is rapidly and markedly down-regulated in other myeloid precursor populations.". J. Leukoc. Biol. 64 (4): 546–54.
- Briggs LJ, Johnstone RW, Elliot RM, et al. (2001). "Novel properties of the protein kinase CK2-site-regulated nuclear- localization sequence of the interferon-induced nuclear factor IFI 16.". Biochem. J. 353 (Pt 1): 69–77.
- Johnstone RW, Wei W, Greenway A, Trapani JA (2001). "Functional interaction between p53 and the interferon-inducible nucleoprotein IFI 16.". Oncogene 19 (52): 6033–42.
- Gariglio M, Azzimonti B, Pagano M, et al. (2003). "Immunohistochemical expression analysis of the human interferon-inducible gene IFI16, a member of the HIN200 family, not restricted to hematopoietic cells.". J. Interferon Cytokine Res. 22 (7): 815–21.
- Strausberg RL, Feingold EA, Grouse LH, et al. (2003). "Generation and initial analysis of more than 15,000 full-length human and mouse cDNA sequences.". Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 99 (26): 16899–903.
- Izmailova E, Bertley FM, Huang Q, et al. (2003). "HIV-1 Tat reprograms immature dendritic cells to express chemoattractants for activated T cells and macrophages.". Nat. Med. 9 (2): 191–7.
- Clarke CJ, Apostolidis V, Hii LL, et al. (2003). "Critical role of the transcription factor AP-1 for the constitutive and interferon-induced expression of IFI 16.". J. Cell. Biochem. 89 (1): 80–93.
- Xin H, Curry J, Johnstone RW, et al. (2003). "Role of IFI 16, a member of the interferon-inducible p200-protein family, in prostate epithelial cellular senescence.". Oncogene 22 (31): 4831–40.
- Kwak JC, Ongusaha PP, Ouchi T, Lee SW (2003). "IFI16 as a negative regulator in the regulation of p53 and p21(Waf1).". J. Biol. Chem. 278 (42): 40899–904.
- Aglipay JA, Lee SW, Okada S, et al. (2004). "A member of the Pyrin family, IFI16, is a novel BRCA1-associated protein involved in the p53-mediated apoptosis pathway.". Oncogene 22 (55): 8931–8.
- Ota T, Suzuki Y, Nishikawa T, et al. (2004). "Complete sequencing and characterization of 21,243 full-length human cDNAs.". Nat. Genet. 36 (1): 40–5.
- Raffaella R, Gioia D, De Andrea M, et al. (2004). "The interferon-inducible IFI16 gene inhibits tube morphogenesis and proliferation of primary, but not HPV16 E6/E7-immortalized human endothelial cells.". Exp. Cell Res. 293 (2): 331–45.
- Fujiuchi N, Aglipay JA, Ohtsuka T, et al. (2004). "Requirement of IFI16 for the maximal activation of p53 induced by ionizing radiation.". J. Biol. Chem. 279 (19): 20339–44.
- Beausoleil SA, Jedrychowski M, Schwartz D, et al. (2004). "Large-scale characterization of HeLa cell nuclear phosphoproteins.". Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 101 (33): 12130–5.
- IFI16 protein, human at the US National Library of Medicine Medical Subject Headings (MeSH)