Currently for India, ISO 3166-2 codes are defined for 29 states and 7 Union territories.
Each code consists of two parts, separated by a hyphen. The first part is IN, the ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 code of India. The second part is two letters, currently used in vehicle registration plates, with some exceptions.
- Current codes 1
- Changes 2
- See also 3
- References 4
- External links 5
Subdivision names are listed as in the ISO 3166-2 standard published by the ISO 3166 Maintenance Agency (ISO 3166/MA).
Click on the button in the header to sort each column.
|Code||Subdivision name||Subdivision category|
|IN-JK||Jammu and Kashmir||state|
|IN-AN||Andaman and Nicobar Islands||Union territory|
|IN-DN||Dadra and Nagar Haveli||Union territory|
|IN-DD||Daman and Diu||Union territory|
- Code inconsistent with vehicle registration code, which is CG.
- Changed its name from Orissa to Odisha in 2011. OD replaced OR as vehicle registration code, but not as ISO 3166-2 code.
- Code inconsistent with vehicle registration code, which is TS.
- Code inconsistent with vehicle registration code, which is UK. Before the state's rename from Uttaranchal to Uttarakhand in 2007, the vehicle registration code was UA and the ISO 3166-2 code was IN-UL.
The following changes to the entry have been announced in newsletters by the ISO 3166/MA since the first publication of ISO 3166-2 in 1998. ISO stopped issuing newsletters in 2013.
|Newsletter||Date issued||Description of change in newsletter||Code/Subdivision change|
|Newsletter I-2||2002-05-21||Partial reorganization of subdivision layout: Three new states. Addition of an alternative name for one state. New list source||
|Newsletter I-3||2002-08-20||Error correction: Duplicate use of IN-CH corrected. Spelling correction||
Codes: (to correct duplicate use)
Chhattīsgarh: IN-CH → IN-CT
|Newsletter I-4||2002-12-10||Error correction: Reintroduction of old name form in IN-WB|
|Addition of local generic administrative terms, update of the official languages according to ISO 3166-2, addition of a comment and source list update.||
IN-UL Uttaranchal → IN-UT Uttarakhand
The following changes to the entry are listed on ISO's online catalogue, the Online Browsing Platform:
|Effective date of change||Short description of change (en)|
|2014-10-30||Add 1 state IN-TG; change spelling of IN-OR; update List Source and Code Source|
|2011-12-13||Addition of local generic administrative terms, update of the official languages according to ISO 3166-2, addition of a comment and source list update.|
- "RTO Codes of Odisha State". odishabook.com. Odisha Book. Retrieved 21 October 2014.
- Ramanath V., Riyan (2 March 2014). "New RTO here, get driving licence in a day". timesofindia.indiatimes.com.
- Special Correspondent (18 June 2014). "Vehicle registrations dwindle in Telangana State". Hyderabad:
- "Telangana begins vehicles registration with 'TS' code". mid-day. 19 June 2014.
- ISO Online Browsing Platform: IN
- States of India, Statoids.com