I Saw the Light (Todd Rundgren song)
|"I Saw the Light"|
|Single by Todd Rundgren|
|from the album Something/Anything?|
|Released||April 8, 1972|
|Format||7" 45 RPM|
In the liner notes to Something/Anything?, Rundgren states that he intended the song to be the hit of the album, and copied the Motown tradition of putting hit songs at the beginning of albums. The song peaked at #15 in Canada, #16 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100, and at #12 on the Easy Listening chart. Billboard ranked it as the No. 88 song for 1972. On the U.S. Cash Box Top 100, it reached number 11.
Overseas, it went to #36 on the UK Singles Chart. However, in the US at least, Something/Anything? actually contained a bigger hit than "I Saw The Light", as the album's third single "Hello It's Me" climbed to #5.
This song is featured in the 2013 film American Hustle
The UK mod revival band Mood Six covered the song in 1987 on their EP "I Saw the Light". A video for the song made the rounds on MTV's "120 Minutes".
The song was also covered on Terry Hall's (ex Specials) album Laugh and was released as a single in August 1997.
Lori Carson covered the song on her 1997 album Everything I Touch Runs Wild.
A cover version of "I Saw The Light" was released in 1998 by country music singer Hal Ketchum from his album I Saw the Light. It reached #36 on the US country charts, and #50 on the Canadian country charts.
Scottish alternative rock band Teenage Fan Club also recorded their own version of this song, which is available on "Scotland On Sunday" EP released in 2005.
Also covered by Bubba Hernandez on his 2008 release 'Dancing En Fuego'.
Japanese musician Yukihiro Takahashi covered the song on his 1985 solo album Once a Fool.
In 2010 Miniature Tigers recorded a cover for their Truffles Mixtape.
Japanese musician Hiroshi Takano covered the song on his 2011 solo album Kameleon Pop.
In 2013 the German singer Tabea covered the song on her album Memories.
- Peter Buckley (2003). The Rough Guide to Rock. Rough Guides. p. 803.
- Murray, Noel (2012). "A beginners’ guide to the heyday of power-pop, 1972-1986".
- "I Saw the Light - Todd Rundgren". Billboard. Retrieved 17 July 2011.
- Billboard Year-End Hot 100 singles of 1972
- "Todd Rundgren - I Saw the Light". Chart Stats. Retrieved 17 July 2011.
- "Hello It's Me - Todd Rundgren". Billboard. Retrieved 17 July 2011.
- "RPM Country 100". Volume 67, No. 8. RPM. May 18, 1998. Retrieved 17 July 2011.
- Full lyrics of this song at MetroLyrics