International Democrat Union
|Purpose||World federation of conservative political parties|
|Part of a series on|
The International Democrat Union (IDU) is a conservative international alliance of political parties. Headquartered in Oslo, Norway, the IDU comprises 71 full and associate members from 63 different countries. It is chaired by John Key, Prime Minister of New Zealand.
The group was founded in 1983 as the umbrella organisation for the London, the United Kingdom.
The IDU has several regional affiliates: the Democrat Union of Africa, the Union of Latin American Parties, the Asia Pacific Democrat Union, the Caribbean Democrat Union, and the European People's Party, the Alliance of European Conservatives and Reformists and the (dormant since 2002) European Democrat Union in Europe. It also has an affiliated youth wing the International Young Democrat Union led by Albanian Gerti Bogdani and an affiliated women's wing in the International Women's Democrat Union.
Member parties 1
- Full members 1.1
- Associate members 1.2
- See also 2
- References 3
- External links 4
|Belarus||Partyja BPF||PBNF||extraparliamentary opposition|
|Belarus||United Civic Party of Belarus||UCP||extraparliamentary opposition|
|Cuba||Cuban Democratic Directorate||DDC||in exile (United States)|
|Georgia||New Rights||NRP||in opposition|
|Kenya||Democratic Party||DP||in opposition|
|Paraguay||Movimiento Dignidad Republicana / Partido Colorado||MDR||in government|
|Russia||Union of Right Forces Movement||SPS||extraparliamentary opposition|
|Tanzania||Party for Democracy and Progress||Chadema||in opposition|
|Ukraine||All-Ukrainian Union "Fatherland"||VOB||in coalition government|
- Centrist Democrat International
- European People's Party
- Socialist International, an equivalent centre-left organisation
- Burnell, Peter J. (2006). Globalizing Democracy: Party Politics in Emerging Democracies. London: Taylor & Francis. p. 63.
- International Democrat Union. "IDU Members". http://www.idu.org.
- Mohr, Alexander (2010). The German Political Foundations as Actors in Democracy Assistance. Boca Raton: Universal-Publishers. p. 151.
- Goldman, Ralph Morris (2002). The Future Catches Up: Transnational Parties and Democracy. London: Taylor & Francis. p. 418.
- IDU official website
- IYDU official website
- IDU enumeration of constituent members