Jainism in Maharashtra
|Regions with significant populations|
|Part of a series on|
- History 1
- Modern Maharashtran Jain communities 2
- Religious organizations 3
- Jainism in Mumbai 4
- Notable People (Marathi Jains) 5
- Photo Gallery 6
- See also 7
- References 8
- External links 9
Maharashtra had many Jain rulers such as the Rashtrakuta dynasty and the Shilaharas. Many of forts were built by kings from these dynasties and thus Jain temples or their remains are found in them. Texts such as the Shankardigvijaya and Shivlilamruta suggest that a large number of Maharashtrans were Jains in the ancient period.
Modern Maharashtran Jain communities
The native Jains of Maharashtra today are endogamous communiites and generally do not intermarry with the Jains who have arrived from North India. They are all are Swetambar and Digambaras and are divided into four large communities:
- Saitwal, originally Tailors and Cloth Merchants
- Chaturtha, originally agriculturists, now engaged in various professions
- Panchama, various professions
- Kasara, traditionally coppersmiths
- Dhakad A small Jain community found primarily in Western Vidarbha districts of Akola, Yavatmal, Washim and Amravati.
Immigrant Jains have a large population in Maharashtra. Majority of them are from Rajasthan and Gujarat. Some of them are from Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh. Some of these communities have been in Maharashtra for centuries, and are now indistinguishable from the native residents of Maharashtra. They are divided in following large groups:
The Marathi Jains), Karnataka (Kannada Jains) and Goa.
Jainism in Mumbai
Notable People (Marathi Jains)
- V. Shantaram
- Sandhya Shantaram
- Kiran Shantaram
- Karmaveer Bhaurao Patil
- Bal Patil
- Suresh Jain
- Vaibhav Mangle
- Advaita Mangle
- Raju Shetti
- Vidyadhar Johrapurkar
Jain cave in Ellora
Jain temple in Kumbhoj
Jain temple in Mumbai
Office of the Hindi Granth Karyalay, Mumbai, publishers of books on Jainism
- People of India: Maharashtra - Kumar Suresh Singh, Anthropological Survey of India - Google Boeken. Books.google.com. Retrieved 2012-04-24.
- The Castes and Tribes of H.E.H. the Nizam's Dominions - Syed Siraj Ul Hassan - Google Boeken. Books.google.com. Retrieved 2012-04-24.
- People of India: Maharashtra - Kumar Suresh Singh - Google Books. Books.google.com. Retrieved 2013-01-30.
- The Assembly of Listeners: Jains in Society - Google Books. Books.google.com. Retrieved 2013-01-30.
- A World Religions Reader - Google Books. Books.google.com. Retrieved 2013-01-30.
- JainConnect.org Newly evolving Online Portal/Directory for Jain Community.
- A portal to connect jains and discuss about Jainism and other things
- Jain Tirthas in Maharashtra
- History Of Maharashtra