Mark Davis (American football)
1954/1955 (age 59–60)
|Occupation||Professional Sports Owner|
|Known for||Owner of the Oakland Raiders|
Mark Davis (born 1954/1955) is principal owner and managing general partner of the Oakland Raiders of the National Football League (NFL). Davis inherited the team after the death of his father, Al, in 2011. Davis with his mother, Carol, own a 47 percent share of the Raiders, which is contractually structured to give them controlling interest. However, Mark has day-to-day control of the team. Davis is a graduate of California State University, Chico.
In his short ownership of the Raiders, Davis has been known for a hands off approach to the football side of the operations focusing on the business aspects of the team appointing then handing control of football operations to General Manager Reggie McKenzie. This form of management is in stark contrast to his father whom up to his death had control of both the business and football sides of the team.
In 2013, Davis fired the Raiders public relations director after a Sports Illustrated article that was critical of Davis' father. Davis stated that the director's replacement needed to understand the importance of his father's legacy and actively protect it.
Davis gained control of the team towards the end of the Raiders lease with the O.co Coliseum a facility that dates back to 1965 and has multiple issues due to its age. It is also the only stadium of which still houses a NFL and MLB team at the same time. Davis has put himself in charge of an effort to establish a new stadium for the Raiders. He has stated a desire to keep the Raiders in Oakland (preferably on the Coliseum site) or the immediate area but due to the lack of a stadium plan has talked to other cities such as Los Angeles, California and San Antonio, Texas.
- Kawakami, Tim (January 11, 2012). "Oakland Raiders owner Mark Davis makes good first impression". San Jose Mercury News. Archived from the original on January 11, 2012.
- Tafur, Vittorio (October 9, 2011). "Davis family will retain ownership of Raiders". The San Francisco Chronicle. p. B-9. Archived from the original on October 9, 2011.
- Poole, Monte (January 10, 2012). "Monte Poole: Did Mark Davis make the call on Hue Jackson's firing?".
- Williamson, Bill (January 6, 2012). "Mark Davis knows his role in Oakland". ESPN.com. Archived from the original on January 10, 2012.
- Gutierrez, Paul (January 9, 2012). "Prepping for Tuesday's Raiders media conference". Comcast Sportsnet Bay Area. Archived from the original on January 10, 2012.
- "Statement from Raiders owner Mark Davis". Comcast Sportsnet Bay Area. January 10, 2012. Retrieved January 10, 2012.
- Dickey, Glenn (January 5, 2012). "Oakland Raiders in need of major front-office makeover". The San Francisco Examiner. Archived from the original on January 10, 2012.
- "'"Raiders' Mark Davis: 'Reggie's fine. ESPN.com. June 9, 2013. Retrieved June 9, 2013.