Graf's book Composer and Critic is noted for its amicable style with M. A. Schubart of the New York Times stating, "Dr. Graf has written a charming, comprehensive, intelligent treatise on music criticism, drawing generously on his own large supply of knowledge and experience.... The only major issue which I cannot reach agreement with Dr. Graf is his manner. He is much too polite. No subject in the world deserves more rudeness than music criticism."
In the introduction to this book, Graf details his original interest in music criticism as having stemmed from attending the lectures of Anton Bruckner in Vienna.
Graf died in Vienna.
- Wagner-Probleme, und andere Studien, 1900
- Die Musik im Zeitalter der Renaissance, 1905
- Die innere Werkstatt des Musikers, 1910
- Richard Wagner im "Fliegenden Holländer": ein Beitrag zur Psychologie künstlerischen Schaffens, 1911
- Legend of a musical city, 1945
- Composer and critic: Two hundred years of musical criticism, 1946
- Modern music: Composers and music of our time, 1946
- From Beethoven to Shostakovich: The psychology of the composing process, 1947
- Geschichte und Geist der modernen Musik, 1953
- Die Wiener Oper, 1955