|Systematic (IUPAC) name|
|Synonyms||PAP, EMD-16,923, H-4,007|
|Mol. mass||304.82 g/mol|
Mepiprazole (Psigodal) is a minor tranquilizer with a phenylpiperazine structure used in Spain for the treatment of anxiety neuroses. It acts as a 5-HT2A and α1-adrenergic receptor antagonist, and has also been shown to inhibit the reuptake and induce the release of serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine to varying extents. Controlled clinical trials of mepiprazole in patients with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) were also carried out and suggested some benefits of the drug in relieving symptoms of IBS in some patients. Similarly to other phenylpiperazines like trazodone, nefazodone, and etoperidone, mepiprazole produces mCPP as an active metabolite.
- Dictionary of organic compounds. London: Chapman & Hall. 1996.
- Swiss Pharmaceutical Society (2000). Index Nominum 2000: International Drug Directory (Book with CD-ROM). Boca Raton: Medpharm Scientific Publishers.
- Pöldinger W (1975). "Clinical trial of 3-methyl-5-(beta-N'-(N-m-chlorophenylpiperazino)ethyl)-pyrazole dihydrochloride (Mepiprazol) in the therapy of psychovegetative disorders". International Pharmacopsychiatry 10 (1): 1–8.
- De Buck R, Van Durme R, Pelc I (May 1975). "[A controlled double-blind crossover study of the efficacy of mepiprazol (EMD 16.923) and of diazepam in the treatment of neurotic disorders]". Acta Psychiatrica Belgica (in French) 75 (3): 320–33.
- Saldaña Hernández OH, Hernández González J (1976). "[Psychopharmological research with EMD 16-923 in patients with different degrees of anxiety]". Neurología, Neurocirugía, Psiquiatría (in Spanish; Castilian) 17 (1): 29–33.
- Cohen ML, Fuller RW, Kurz KD (1983). "Evidence that blood pressure reduction by serotonin antagonists is related to alpha receptor blockade in spontaneously hypertensive rats". Hypertension 5 (5): 676–81.
- Maj J, Sypniewska M (1980). "Central action of mepiprazole". Polish Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacy 32 (4): 475–84.
- Fuxe K, Agnati LF, Ungerstedt U (January 1976). "The effect of mepiprazole on central monoamine neurons. Evidence for increased 5-hydroxytryptamine and dopamine receptor activity". European Journal of Pharmacology 35 (1): 93–108.
- Placheta P, Singer E, Kriwanek W, Hertting G (August 1976). "Mepiprazole, a new psychotropic drug: effects on uptake and retention of monoamines in rat brain synaptosomes". Psychopharmacology 48 (3): 295–301.
- Dotevall G, Groll E (October 1974). "Controlled clinical trial of mepiprazole in irritable bowel syndrome". The British Medical Journal 4 (5935): 16–8.
- Fong MH, Garattini S, Caccia S (October 1982). "1-m-Chlorophenylpiperazine is an active metabolite common to the psychotropic drugs trazodone, etoperidone and mepiprazole". The Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology 34 (10): 674–5.