|Part of a series on|
Michael Albert (born April 8, 1947) is an American activist, economist, speaker, and writer.
- Biography 1
- Work 2
- Beliefs 3
- Co-authored 4.1
- About Albert 4.2
- See also 5
- References 6
- External links 7
In 1965, Albert was a student at Students for a Democratic Society and opposed the Vietnam War. He was expelled from MIT, in January 1970, for disruptive behaviour.
In 1991, Albert co-authored, with Robin Hahnel, The Political Economy of Participatory Economics. This outlined their ideas for participatory economics and included an economic model of the system. Doug Brown, writing in the Journal of Economic Issues said their alternative to markets was novel, but mainly of academic interest.
Albert helped create the International Organization for a Participatory Society founded in 2012.
Albert identifies himself as a market abolitionist and believes they should be replaced with participatory economics.
- What Is To Be Undone?, (1974)
- Stop the Killing Train: Radical Visions for Radical Change, (1994)
- Thinking Forward: Learning To Conceptualize Economic Vision, (1997)
- Moving Forward: Program for a Participatory Economy, (2001)
- The Trajectory of Change: Activist Strategies for Social Transformation, (2002)
- Parecon: Life After Capitalism, (2004) Verso ISBN 9781844675050
- Thought Dreams: Radical Theory for the 21st Century, (2004)
- Realizing Hope: Life beyond Capitalism, (2006)
- Remembering Tomorrow: From SDS to Life After Capitalism, A Memoir, (2007) Seven Stories Press ISBN 9781583227428
- Occupy Theory (2013)
- Occupy Vision (2013)
- Occupy Strategy (2013)
- Unorthodox Marxism, with R. Hahnel (1978)
- Socialism Today and Tomorrow, with R. Hahnel (1981)
- Marxism and Socialist Theory, with R. Hahnel (1981)
- Liberating Theory, with Holly Sklar, Lydia Sargent, Mel King, Robin Hahnel, Noam Chomsky and Leslie Cagan (1986)
- Quiet Revolution in Welfare Economics, with R. Hahnel (1990)
- Looking Forward, with R. Hahnel (1990)
- The Political Economy of Participatory Economics, with R. Hahnel (1991) Princeton University Press ISBN 9780691003849 
- Parecomic:The Story of Michael Albert and Participatory Economics, (2013) Sean Michael Wilson and Carl Thompson, Seven Stories Press ISBN 9781609804565
- "From SDS to Life After Capitalism: Z Mag Founder Michael Albert on Activism, "Parecon" and a Model for a Participatory Society". Democracy Now. Retrieved 3 June 2015.
- FISHMAN, MITCHELL S. "SDS Seizes M.I.T. Offices With Ram". The Harvard Crimson. Retrieved 3 June 2015.
- "The Political Economy of Participatory Economics". Princeton University Press. Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- Brown, Doug. "Reviewed Work: The Political Economy of Participatory Economics". Journal of Economic Issues. Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- Pilger, John. "John Pilger offers a reading list to counter Reagan". New Statesman. Retrieved 2 June 2015.
- Market Madness. Z-Mag, July 13, 2004.
- Albert, Michael There Is An Alternative. ZNet, July 27, 2005.
- "Parecon: Life After Capitalism". Verso. Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- "Remembering Tomorrow: From SDS to Life after Capitalism: A Memoir". Seven Stories Press. Retrieved 3 June 2015.
- "Parecomic: Michael Albert and the Story of Participatory Economics". Seven Stories Press. Retrieved 3 June 2015.
- Michael Albert discusses memoir with Amy Goodman on Democracy Now!, April 17, 2007 (video, audio, and print transcript)
- Parecon (Participatory Economics)
- Interview with Michael Albert in Imagineer magazine about the American economy and his proposal for a more effective economic alternative.
- Text of a speech delivered to a CNT Sponsored gathering in Barcelona, Spain (on parecon)