Michael Lombardi (American football)
Michael Lombardi is an assistant to the coaching staff of the New England Patriots as well as a former analyst for the NFL Network and sportswriter at NFL.com. Lombardi also previously served as an NFL executive with the San Francisco 49ers, Cleveland Browns, St. Louis Rams, Philadelphia Eagles, and Oakland Raiders.
- Personal life 1
Career timeline 2
- Television football analysis 2.1
- Sportswriting 2.2
- Football 2.3
- References 3
Lombardi grew up in
- NFL.com bio, 2/11/2010
- "Lombardi named VP of Player Personnel",
- Cleveland Browns: Could Michael Lombardi Become The New GM?, www.rantsports.com, 11-7-12, accessed 1-18-13
- "Patriots make it official with Michael Lombardi", February 20, 2014. Accessed February 24, 2014.
- 1977 to 1981 – Hofstra University, Hempstead, N.Y.: Defensive lineman and long-snapper.
- 1981 to 1984 – University of Nevada, Las Vegas: Hired as Recruiting Coordinator by Runnin’ Rebels head coach Harvey Hyde.
- 1984 to 1987 – San Francisco 49ers: Hired as a scout, reported to head coach Bill Walsh and assistant coaches in all matters of college scouting and supplied information for use during the NFL draft.
- 1987 to 1996 – Cleveland Browns: Joined team as Pro Personnel Director in 1987. Promoted to Director of Player Personnel in 1992 where he worked under head coach Bill Belichick and was responsible for all college and pro personnel decisions; managed salary cap and player personnel issues; oversaw staff of 13 college and pro scouts; handled all player contracts and advised head coach on all football matters.
- 1996 – St. Louis Rams: Prepared advisory reports for ownership during head coach search.
- 1998 – Philadelphia Eagles: Promoted to Director of Pro Personnel after serving as a consultant to team owner Jeffrey Lurie in 1997. Managed the professional personnel department and advised owner and chief financial officer on all player contracts and salary cap issues.
- 1998 to 2007 – Oakland Raiders: Hired by owner Al Davis to become Senior Personnel Executive working closely with the owner on all football matters. Liaison with head coach and owner; responsible for pro and college player evaluations; and handled veteran contracts.
- 2013 to 2014 - Cleveland Browns: Hired as General Manager and VP of Player Personnel. On February 11, 2014 Lombardi was replaced by Ray Farmer.
- 2014 to Present - New England Patriots: Hired by Bill Belichick as an assistant to the coaching staff. 
- 2008 – Sports Illustrated: Joined SI.com as a freelance writer after being recommended by SI Senior Writer Peter King. Quickly moved from one column per week to two columns per week before amicably departing to found NationalFootballPost.com.
- 2008–2010 – NationalFootballPost.com: Founded NationalFootballPost.com in 2008. Served as Editor-In-Chief before amicably departing to join NFL.com.
- 2010 – NFL.com: Joined the NFL’s Website, contributing three columns per week.
- 2008 – NFL Network: Invited to be a part of their annual Path to the Draft programs. Became a regular on the nightly Total Access show and contributed to Insider segments. Also contributed on game days with studio analysis or on-field reporting from individual games.
- 2008 – Inside the NFL: Joins this NFL Films staple of 32 years that airs on Showtime weekly during the NFL season, which wins an Emmy for Outstanding (Weekly) Studio Show in 2009. Provides insider NFL analysis alongside host James Brown and former NFL players Cris Collinsworth, Phil Simms and Warren Sapp.
Television football analysis
He is the owner of a Lagotto Romagnolo dog.
Lombardi and wife Millie have two children.