Uses, administration, and pharmacodynamics
Mometasone furoate is used in the treatment of inflammatory skin disorders (such as eczema and psoriasis), allergic rhinitis (such as hay fever), asthma for patients unresponsive to less potent corticosteroids, and penile phimosis. In terms of steroid strength, it is more potent than hydrocortisone, and less potent than dexamethasone.
- reversing the activation of inflammatory proteins
- activating the secretion of anti-inflammatory proteins
- stabilising cell membranes
- decreasing the influx of inflammatory cells
The exact anti-inflammatory mechanism of action is unknown.
Merck markets the medication under the following brand names; Elocon (Elocom, Elomet, Elosalic) and Novasone as a cream or ointment for skin conditions, Nasonex as a nasal spray for upper respiratory conditions such as nasal sinus inflammation, Asmanex Twisthaler as a dry powder inhaler (DPI) for lower respiratory conditions. Essex pharma markets the medication under the brand name Ecural and Progreś Laboratories markets it under mometAid. It is also marketed by Perrigo as an ointment for the scalp.In India it is marketed by Intas under the trade name 'Eziwin'.
- Mometasone Furoate Oral Inhalation (MedlinePlus)
- Mometasone Furoate Nasal Inhalation (MedlinePlus)
- Nasonex Home page
- Asmanex Home page
- U.S. National Library of Medicine: Drug Information Portal - Mometasone furoate