|Systematic (IUPAC) name|
|Mol. mass||450.638 g/mol|
Naluzotan (INN, USAN; PRX-00023) is a serotonergic drug of the phenylpiperazine class that was under investigation by EPIX Pharmaceuticals Inc for the treatment of generalized anxiety disorder and major depressive disorder. It acts as a selective and potent 5-HT1A receptor partial agonist, readily stimulating prolactin responses, though it has also been found to bind to and activate the σ receptor. Naluzotan was well tolerated in clinical trials, with more patients in the control group dropping out due to adverse effects than in the active group in one study. The most frequently reported side effect was headache in 15% of patients (compared to 10% for placebo). In addition, naluzotan demonstrated significant antidepressant and anxiolytic effects as per the HAM-D and MADRS and the HAM-A, respectively, in some trials, but in others it did not. In the end it was not found to be significantly superior enough to placebo and development was stopped.
- de Paulis T. (2007). "Drug evaluation: PRX-00023, a selective 5-HT1A receptor agonist for depression.". Curr Opin Investig Drugs. 8 (1): 78–86.
- Rickels K, Mathew S, Banov MD, Zimbroff DL, Oshana S, Parsons EC Jr, Donahue SR, Kauffman M, Iyer GR, Reinhard JF Jr.; Mathew; Banov; Zimbroff; Oshana; Parsons Jr; Donahue; Kauffman; Iyer; Reinhard Jr (2008). "Effects of PRX-00023, a novel, selective serotonin 1A receptor agonist on measures of anxiety and depression in generalized anxiety disorder: results of a double-blind, placebo-controlled trial". J Clin Psychopharmacol. 28 (2): 235–239.
- Becker OM, Dhanoa DS, Marantz Y, Chen D, Shacham S, Cheruku S, Heifetz A, Mohanty P, Fichman M, Sharadendu A, Nudelman R, Kauffman M, Noiman S.; Dhanoa; Marantz; Chen; Shacham; Cheruku; Heifetz; Mohanty; Fichman; Sharadendu; Nudelman; Kauffman; Noiman (2006). "An integrated in silico 3D model-driven discovery of a novel, potent, and selective amidosulfonamide 5-HT1A agonist (PRX-00023) for the treatment of anxiety and depression". J Med Chem. 49 (11): 3116–3135.
- de Paulis T.; Reinhard Jr, JF; Oshana, S; Kauffman, M; Donahue, S (2007). "Tolerability, pharmacokinetics, and neuroendocrine effects of PRX-00023, a novel 5-HT1A agonist, in healthy subjects.". J Clin Pharmacol. 47 (7): 817–824.
- Prof John Kelly (2010). Principles of CNS Drug Development: From Test Tube to Patient. New York: Wiley.
- Mathew SJ, Garakani A, Reinhard JF Jr, Oshana S, Donahue S.; Garakani; Reinhard; Oshana; Donahue (2008). "Short-term tolerability of a nonazapirone selective serotonin 1A agonist in adults with generalized anxiety disorder: a 28-day, open-label study". Clin Ther. 30 (9): 1658–1666.
- Kirchhoff VD, Nguyen HT, Soczynska JK, Woldeyohannes H, McIntyre RS; Nguyen; Soczynska; Woldeyohannes; McIntyre (October 2009). "Discontinued psychiatric drugs in 2008". Expert Opinion on Investigational Drugs 18 (10): 1431–43.