National Congress of Chile
This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
The National Congress of Chile was founded on July 4, 1811. It is a bicameral legislature comprised by the Chamber of Deputies (lower house), of 120 Deputies and by the Senate (upper house), formed by 38 Senators.
The organisation of Congress and its powers and duties are defined in articles 42 to 59 of the current Pinochet regime and stands in the port city of Valparaíso, some 140 km west of the capital, Santiago. This new building replaced the Former National Congress Building, located in downtown Santiago.