Newport, New South Wales
New South Wales
|Location||31 km (19 mi) north of Sydney CBD|
Newport is a suburb in northern Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia 31 kilometres north of the Sydney central business district, in the local government area of Pittwater Council. It is part of the Northern Beaches region.
- History 1
- Landmarks 2
- Presbyterian 3.1
- Anglican 3.2
- Sport clubs 4
- Schools 5
- Localities 6
- References 7
Newport derived its name from being a "new port" for steamers carrying passengers and cargo such as local shell lime and firewood. Bungan Castle is a medieval-style stone castle on Bungan Head built in 1919 by Adolph Albers, a German art dealer.
Newport sits between the Pacific Ocean to the east and Pittwater to the west. Its ocean beach is patrolled by Newport Surf Life Saving Club. On the shores of Pittwater are several marinas and small shipyards, including the Royal Prince Alfred Yacht Club and the Royal Motor Yacht Club, serving mainly pleasure craft. Newport also features many cafes and restaurants, as well as the Newport Arms Hotel on the shore of Pittwater.
- Pittwater Presbyterian Church has been ministering to the people of Newport and the surrounding suburbs since 1956. In mid June 2014 Rob Lamont started as Ministry Coordinator after 23 years of ministry from Phil Rawlings. They meet on Sundays at 9am and 7pm 
- Rob Lamont is also the chaplain at Newport Surf Club and the chaplain at Pittwater High School.
Newport Anglican Church meets right next to the Post Office at 9.30am on Sundays. The Senior Minister is Rev. Jason Ramsay since 2007.
The Link Church meets at its North Campus the first Wednesday of every Month at the Newport Community Centre. Service begins at 7pm. The Link Church also runs Sunday morning and evening Services at Cromer and Narrabeen respectively.
- Newport Breakers Rugby Club
- Newport Breakers Netball Club
- Newport Public Primary School
- Bungan Head
- Salt Pan Cove
- Australian Bureau of Statistics, 2006
- The Book of Sydney Suburbs, Compiled by Frances Pollon, Angus & Robertson Publishers, 1990, Published in Australia ISBN 0-207-14495-8, page 185
- The history of the Presbyterian Church Pittwater Parish (1956-1989) / [Robert Grant and Jean Dixon]