Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance
|United States Environmental Protection Agency Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance|
EPA CID Special Agent badge
|Legal personality||Governmental: Government agency|
|Parent agency||United States Environmental Protection Agency|
The Environmental Protection Agency's Criminal Investigation Division (EPA CID) primary mission is the enforcement of the United States' environmental laws as well as any other federal law in accordance with the guidelines established by the Attorney General of the United States (18 U.S.C. 3063). These environmental laws include those specifically related to air, water and land resources.
EPA CID Special Agents receive twelve weeks of basic federal law enforcement and Criminal Investigator training at the United States environmental laws. There is also periodic in-service training, as well as advanced training in various investigative techniques.
The OEC has a number of offices:
- Office of Administration and Policy
The Office of Administration and Policy recommends national policy on issues pertaining to enforcement and compliance. OAP provides a range of administrative support services which includes: human resources, labor relations, budget, finances, contracts, grants, records management and management of the compliance and enforcement information on the Agency’s Web site.
- Administrative Management Division
- Budget and Financial Management Division
- Information Technology Division
- Policy and Legislative Coordination Division
- Office of Civil Enforcement
The Office of Civil Enforcement develops and prosecutes administrative civil and judicial cases and provides legal support for cases and investigations initiated in EPA regions. OCE directly implements and enforces federal programs, (those where there are no EPA-authorized state programs). OCE also has responsibility for planning and setting priorities for enforcement activities, developing national enforcement policy and guidance, participating in Agency rule-making to ensure that regulations contain clear and enforceable provisions, and implementing effective communication to alert regulated entities to potential compliance problems.
- Air Enforcement Division
- Special Litigation and Projects Division
- Waste and Chemical Enforcement Division
- Water Enforcement Division
- Office of Criminal Enforcement, Forensics and Training
The Office of Criminal Enforcement, Forensics and Training investigates violations of environmental laws and provides a range of technical and forensic services for civil and criminal investigative support and counsel on legal and policy matters.
- Criminal Investigation Division
- Field Operations Program
- National Enforcement Investigations Center
- Legal Counsel Division
- Office of Compliance
The Office of Compliance identifies, prevents, and reduces noncompliance and environmental risks by establishing enforcement initiatives and ensuring effective monitoring and assessment of compliance. OC provides compliance assistance and compliance data and ensures the effectiveness of compliance and enforcement personnel through training.
- Enforcement Targeting and Data Division
- Monitoring, Assistance, and Media Programs Division
- National Enforcement Training Institute
- Planning, Measuring, and Oversight Division
- Resource Management Staff
- Office of Environmental Justice
- The Office of Environmental Justice works to protect human health and the environment in communities with environmental pollution by integrating environmental justice into EPA programs, policies and activities.
- Office of Federal Activities
The Office of Federal Activities coordinates EPA's review of all federal Environmental Impact Statements prepared by other agencies under the National Environmental Policy Act, as well as EPA's compliance with NEPA. OFA also works with federal and state agencies, foreign governments and international organizations in order to ensure compliance with United States environmental laws, and to promote a level playing field in trade internationally.
- International Compliance Assurance Division
- NEPA Compliance Division
- Federal Facilities Enforcement Office
The Federal Facilities Enforcement Office is responsible for ensuring that federal facilities take all necessary actions to prevent, control and abate environmental pollution. FFEO facilitates compliance through inspections and enforcement under all environmental statutes and cleanup at federal facilities.
- Site Remediation and Enforcement Staff
- Planning, Prevention, and Compliance Staff
- Office of Site Remediation Enforcement
EPA's cleanup enforcement program protects human health and the environment by getting those responsible for a hazardous waste site to either clean up or reimburse EPA for its cleanup. EPA uses a number of cleanup authorities independently and in combination to address specific cleanup situations. The Office of Site Remediation Enforcement manages the enforcement of EPA's national hazardous waste cleanup programs
- Policy and Program Evaluation Division
- Regional Support Division
- Program Operation Staff
Most Wanted EPA Fugitives
Current EPA Fugitives:
- Yousef Abuteir
- Omran Alghazouli
- Butch R. Bustamonte
- Raul Chavez-Beltran
- Pope Jeffrey "Big Chooch" Engle of the Darien Gap
- Alessandro Giordano
- Carlos Giordano
- John Karayannides
- Peter Kuhn
- Prem Kumar
- Aage Lokkebraten
- Frerik Pluimers
- Michael Evangelos Psomadakis
- Matt Romanowski
- Peter Solemdal
- Kurt Sorboe
- Zidzislaw (Jimmy) Szypulski
- EPA futigives, current EPA fugitives.
- Official website