On Stage (Elvis Presley album)
|Live album by Elvis Presley|
February 17–19, 1970
International Hotel, Las Vegas, Nevada
|Elvis Presley chronology|
|The Rolling Stone Album Guide|||
On Stage is an Elvis Presley live album mostly recorded between February 17 and 19, 1970 at the International Hotel, Paradise, Nevada, and released on RCA Records LSP-4362. It was an immediate follow up to From Memphis to Vegas/From Vegas to Memphis, which also featured live recordings. Unlike the previous release, however, this album focused on songs that were not, at the time, associated with Elvis. This album was released in June 1970 and reached number 13 on both the Billboard 200 and country musc charts. It was certified Gold on February 23, 1971, and Platinum on July 15, 1999, by the Recording Industry Association of America.
It features the world-wide number one single "The Wonder of You", which topped both the United States Adult Contemporary tracks chart and the British music chart. Other selections include "See See Rider", "Yesterday", Tony Joe White's "Polk Salad Annie", Del Shannon's "Runaway", and a version of "Let It Be Me". "See See Rider" would go on to become Elvis' frequent introductory number at his concerts up to his last performance at the (now defunct) Market Square Arena in Indianapolis Indiana on June 26, 1977, while "Polk Salad Annie" also became a regular part of his repertoire. The album is notable for not showing Elvis' name anywhere on the cover.
The album has remained in print since its release date and has sold more than ten million copies globally. On January 8, 2010, it was announced that a Legacy Edition would be released, to follow the Legacy Edition release of From Elvis In Memphis in the spring of 2010.
Track listing 1
- Original release 1.1
- Extended Version 1.2
- Legacy Edition 1.3
- References 2
|On March 23, 2010, the album was released in a two-disc Legacy Edition. All tracks on disc two were recorded August 23–26, 1969.|
- On Stage (Elvis Presley album) at AllMusic
- Graff, Gary; Durchholz, Daniel (eds) (1999). MusicHound Rock: The Essential Album Guide. Farmington Hills, MI: Visible Ink Press. p. 892.
- "Elvis Presley: Album Guide".
- Simpson, Paul (2004). The Rough Guide to Elvis. London: Rough Guides. p. 144.
- "On Stage Awards". Allmusc. Rovi Corp. 2013. Retrieved May 26, 2013.
- "Searchable database". RIAA. Recording Industry Association of America. 2013. Retrieved May 26, 2013. Note: Enter search for "On Stage", then select "Presley, Elvis"