Palais de Justice, Paris
The Palais de Justice (French pronunciation: ; '"Palace of Justice"), formerly the Palais de la Cité ("Palace of the City"), is located on the Boulevard du Palais in the Île de la Cité in central Paris, France. Among the oldest surviving buildings of the former royal palace are the Sainte Chapelle (built c. 1240, during the reign of Louis IX) and the Conciergerie, a former prison, now a museum, where Marie Antoinette was imprisoned before being executed on the guillotine. The justice of the state has been dispensed at this site since medieval times. From the sixteenth century to the French Revolution this was the seat of the Parlement de Paris.
It was opened in October 1868 with little fanfare, save from a visit by Baron Haussmann, prefect of the Seine. It was awarded the Grand Prix de l'Empereur as the greatest work of art produced in France in the decade.
Security is maintained by gendarmes.
- Ayers 2004, p. 22. Daumet is sometimes spelled Dommey.
- Van Zanten, David (1994). Building Paris: Architectural Institutions and the Transformation of the French Capital, 1830-1870. Cambridge, MA: Cambridge University Press. p. 211.
- Ayers, Andrew (2004). The Architecture of Paris. Stuttgart; London: Edition Axel Menges. ISBN 978-3-930698-96-7.
- A visit of the Hall of Justice (official site of the Paris Court of Appeal)
- Palais de Justice at lartnouveau.com