|Patella vulgata on a rock in Wales|
|A Shell of Patella vulgata|
Patella vulgata, common name the common limpet' or common European limpet ' is an edible species of sea snail with gills, a typical true limpet, a marine gastropod mollusc in the family Patellidae. 
The radula in this species is longer than the shell itself. It contains 1920 teeth in 160 rows of 12 teeth each. It is found attached to firm substrates from the high shore to the edge of the sublittoral zone, although it predominates in areas of wave action. Its shell is conical, up to around 6 cm long, and lacks defined chirality. Common limpets are believed to be able to live for up to twenty years.
Patella vulgata has been the focus of a range of scientific investigation, as far back as 1935. Its development is well described and it has recently been the focus of transcriptomic investigation, providing a range of genomic sequence data in this species for analysis.
Four Patella vulgata limpets on a rock in northwestern Galicia. One turned over to show the underside and muscular foot
Shells of the common limpet from Wales
Drawing of the soft body and underside of the shell of Patella vulgata; a) foot b) fringed mantle c) tentacles d) mouth e) eyes f) gills
Radula of Patella vulgata; a) median teeth b) laterals c) uncini or marginals
Prepared as a dish known as lapas in Madeira.
- Gofas, S. (2014). Patella vulgata Linnaeus, 1758. Accessed through: World Register of Marine Species at http://www.marinespecies.org/aphia.php?p=taxdetails&id=140685 on 2014-10-29
- Oliver, A.P.H. (2004). Guide to Seashells of the World. Buffalo: Firefly Books. 28.
- "Limpets". BritishSeaFishing.co.uk. Retrieved 24 January 2014.
- Smith, F (1935). "The Development of Patella vulgata". Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. Series B, Biological Sciences 225 (520): 95–125.
- Damen, Peter; Dictus, Wim J.A.G. "Cell Lineage of the Prototroch of Patella vulgata (Gastropoda, Mollusca)". Developmental Biology 162 (2): 364–383.
- Werner, Gijsbert D. A.; Gemmell, Patrick; Grosser, Stefanie; Hamer, Rebecca; Shimeld, Sebastian M. "Analysis of a deep transcriptome from the mantle tissue of Patella vulgata Linnaeus (Mollusca: Gastropoda: Patellidae) reveals candidate biomineralising genes". Marine Biotechnology.
- Linnaeus, C. (1758). Systema Naturae per regna tria naturae, secundum classes, ordines, genera, species, cum characteribus, differentiis, synonymis, locis. Editio decima, reformata. Laurentius Salvius: Holmiae. ii, 824 pp.
- Lespinet, Nederbragt, Cassan, Dictus, Van Loon, et al. Characterisation of two snail genes in the gastropod mollusc Patella vulgata. Implications for understanding the ancestral function of the snail-related genes in Bilateria. 2002.
- MarLIN species information
- Live underwater image
- BBC Info retrieved 2012
- FSC Info- great pix Retrieved 2012