Phil Emery (American football)
|Date of birth||January 16, 1959|
|Place of birth||Detroit Michigan|
|Alma mater||Wayne State|
|Team(s) as a coach/administrator|
Central Michigan (S&C)
Western New Mexico (S&C)
Georgetown College (S&C)
Saginaw Valley State (S&C)
Chicago Bears (Scout)
Atlanta Falcons (Director of Scouting)
Kansas City Chiefs (Dir. of Scouting)
Chicago Bears (General Manager)
Phillip "Phil" Emery (born January 16, 1959) is the Lovie Smith's contract runs through 2013, and that Smith will be head coach in 2012, Emery has the ability to make a change at the position. Smith was eventually fired on December 31 after the Bears missed the playoffs.
Emery was a scout for the Bears from 1998 to 2004, serving head coach Saginaw Valley State University (1983–1987), University of Tennessee (1987–1991), and the United States Naval Academy (1991–1998).
In 2012, Bears general manager Jerry Angelo was fired after 11 seasons with the team. During the team's search, Emery was one of the four candidates, and was one of the two finalists for the job, along with Arizona Cardinals director of pro personnel Jason Licht.
In Emery's first draft, he selected Shea McClellin, Alshon Jeffery, Brandon Hardin, Evan Rodriguez, Isaiah Frey, and Greg McCoy. Overall, critics had mixed reviews on Emery's debut draft, with the Chicago Sun-Times experts giving the draft an average "C" grade.
On January 16, the Bears announced the hiring of Montreal Alouettes head coach Marc Trestman as head coach. Trestman was widely regarded as Emery's pick due to his cerebral approach to the game and ability to improve the performance of the quarterbacks he has worked with.
In Emery's second draft, he selected G Kyle Long in the first round (20th overall), LB Jon Bostic (50th overall), LB Khaseem Greene (117th overall), OL Jordan Mills (163rd overall), DE Cornelius Washington (188th overall), and WR Marquess Wilson (236 overall). Reaction was mixed with ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. giving the whole of the Bears draft a C+ overall grade, stating the late round picks lacked value. However Jason Chilton rated the individual picks more highly in the later rounds. The Bears ended the season with an 8-8 record and failed to make the playoffs.
In Emery's third draft he selected CB Kyle Fuller in the first round (1st round, 14th overall), DT Ego Ferguson (2nd round, 51st overall), DT Will Sutton (3rd round, 82nd overall), RB Ka'deem Carey (4th round, 117th overall), S Brock Vereen (4th round, 131st overall), QB David Fales (6th round, 183rd overall), P Pat O'Donnell (6th round, 191st overall), and OT Charles Leno, Jr. (7th round, 246th overall). The Bears traded with the Denver Broncos, swapping the Bears fifth round picks in 2014 and 2015 for the Broncos 4th and 7th picks in 2014. This ended up giving the Bears no fifth round pick, but two additional picks in both the fourth and sixth rounds. Emery also brought in UFA's Jordan Lynch and James Dunbar. Bucky Brooks of NFL.com gave the Bears draft a B, and called the 4th round pick of Carey the draft's biggest steal.
Additionally, Elliot Harrison of NFL.com ranked the Bears offseason moves as the second best in the league based on a strong draft and the additions of free agents DE's Jared Allen, Willie Young, Lamarr Houston, Israel Idonije, and QB Jimmy Clausen.
- "Chicago Bears' Phil Emery free to decide on Lovie Smith after 2012 - ESPN Chicago". Espn.go.com. 2012-07-27. Retrieved 2012-08-01.
- Seligman, Andrew (2012-12-31). "Bears fire coach Lovie Smith after 9 seasons".
- Pompei, Dan. "Bio box: Phil Emery". Chicago Tribune.
- "Chicago Bears select Phil Emery as next general manager - ESPN Chicago". Espn.go.com. 2012-01-29. Retrieved 2012-08-01.
- "Bears’ GM search down to Chiefs’ Phil Emery, Patriots’ Jason Licht - Chicago Sun-Times". Suntimes.com. Retrieved 2012-10-06.
- "Chicago Bears GM Phil Emery makes bold first draft pick in Shea McClellin - ESPN Chicago". Espn.go.com. 2012-04-27. Retrieved 2012-10-06.
- Jensen, Sean. "Alshon Jeffery was one of the Bears top 3 rated receivers - Inside the Bears". Blogs.suntimes.com. Retrieved 2012-10-06.
- "Bears sign Brandon Hardin; entire draft class under contract - Chicago Sun-Times". Suntimes.com. 2012-05-15. Retrieved 2012-10-06.
- "Tight end Evan Rodriguez is playing more fullback these days - Chicago Sun-Times". Suntimes.com. Retrieved 2012-10-06.
- "Late cornerback picks: Bears take Isaiah Frey, Greg McCoy - Chicago Sun-Times". Suntimes.com. Retrieved 2012-10-06.
- Jensen, Sean (2012-04-29). "Experts giving Bears get mostly C's for 2012 draft - Inside the Bears". Blogs.suntimes.com. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- Wilson, Ryan. "Bears GM Phil Emery Explains Why Lovie Smith Was Fired". CBSSports.com. Retrieved 2013-07-26.
- "Bears hire Marc Trestman as next head coach". USAToday.com. Retrieved 2013-07-26.
- Householder, Sam. "Phil Emery: The smartest man in the room," WindyCityGridiron.com. Retrieved 2013-07-26.
- "2013 NFL draft - Cowboys have a different view of Long." ESPNChicago.com. Retrieved 2013-07-26.
- Schweickert, Steven. "Grading the 2013 Chicago Bears Draft". WindyCityGridiron.com. Retrieved 2013-07-26.
-  "Bears stunned by late Packers rally"] ChicagoBears.com Retrieved 2014-10-01.
- "2014 NFL Draft: Recap of Chicago Bears picks & undrafted free agent talk". WindyCityGridirong.com. Retrieved 2014-10-01.
- "NFC North draft grades: Minnesota Vikings finagle a quarterback"NFL.com. Retrieved 2014-10-01.
- "Bears ranked 2nd in offseason moves". ChicagoBears.com. Retrieved 2014-10-01.
- Chicago Bears profile