Place des Vosges
Map of the Place des Vosges
|Length||140 m (460 ft)|
|Width||140 m (460 ft)|
|From||rue de Birague, 11 bis|
|To||rue de Béarn, 1|
The Place des Vosges (French pronunciation: ) is the oldest planned square in Paris and one of the finest in the city. It is located in the Marais district, and it straddles the dividing-line between the 3rd and 4th arrondissements of Paris.
- History 1
- Place des Vosges (photo gallery) 2
- See also 3
- Notes 4
- References 5
- External links 6
Originally known as the Place Royale, the Place des Vosges was built by Henri IV from 1605 to 1612. A true square (140 m × 140 m), it embodied the first European program of royal city planning. It was built on the site of the Hôtel des Tournelles and its gardens: at a tournament at the Tournelles, a royal residence, Henri II was wounded and died. Catherine de Medicis had the Gothic complex demolished, and she removed to the Louvre Palace.
The Place des Vosges, inaugurated in 1612 with a grand carrousel to celebrate the wedding of Louis XIII and Anne of Austria, is the prototype of all the residential squares of European cities that were to come. What was new about the Place Royale in 1612 was that the housefronts were all built to the same design, probably by Baptiste du Cerceau, of red brick with strips of stone quoins over vaulted arcades that stand on square pillars. The steeply-pitched blue slate roofs are pierced with discreet small-paned dormers above the pedimented dormers that stand upon the cornices. Only the north range was built with the vaulted ceilings that the "galleries" were meant to have. Two pavilions that rise higher than the unified roofline of the square center the north and south faces and offer access to the square through triple arches. Though they are designated the Pavilion of the King and of the Queen, no royal personage has ever lived in the aristocratic square. The Place des Vosges initiated subsequent developments of Paris that created a suitable urban background for the French aristocracy.
Before the square was completed, Henri IV ordered the Place Dauphine to be laid out. Within a mere five-year period the king oversaw an unmatched building scheme for the ravaged medieval city: additions to the Louvre Palace, the Pont Neuf, and the Hôpital Saint Louis as well as the two royal squares.
Cardinal Richelieu had an equestrian bronze of Louis XIII erected in the center (there were no garden plots until 1680). The original was melted down in the Revolution; the present version, begun in 1818 by Louis Dupaty and completed by Jean-Pierre Cortot, replaced it in 1825. The square was renamed in 1799 when the département of the Vosges became the first to pay taxes supporting a campaign of the Revolutionary army. The Restoration returned the old royal name, but the short-lived Second Republic restored the revolutionary one in 1848.
Residents of the Place des Vosges
- No. 1bis Madame de Sevigné was born here
- No. 6, "Maison de Victor Hugo" Victor Hugo from 1832 to 1848, in what was then the Hôtel de Rohan (The Princes of Guéménée line), now a museum devoted to his memory, managed by the City of Paris
- No. 7 Sully, Henri IV's great minister
- No. 8 poet Théophile Gautier and writer Alphonse Daudet
- No. 9 (Hôtel de Chaulnes), seat of the Academy of Architecture, currently also tenanted by Galerie Historisimus
- No. 11 occupied from 1639-1648 by the courtesan Marion Delorme
- No. 14 (Hôtel de la Rivière). Its ceilings painted by Lebrun are reinstalled in the Musée Carnavalet. Rabbi David Feuerwerker, Antoinette Feuerwerker and Atara Marmor
- No. 15 Marguerite Louise d'Orléans, wife of Cosimo III de' Medici Grand Duke of Tuscany.
- No. 17 former residence of Bossuet
- No. 21 Cardinal Richelieu from 1615 to 1627
- No. 23 post-impressionist painter Georges Dufrénoy
Place des Vosges (photo gallery)
- - Wikimedia Commons
- Other architects, like Louis Métezeau, were responsible for the constructions erected behind these regular façades.
- Hilary Ballon, The Paris of Henry IV: Architecture and Urbanism, 1994 ISBN 0-262-52197-0
- The official guide, partner of the Paris Tourist Office
- "Paris Pages; Monuments; Place des Vosges". Archived from the original on 10 March 2010.
- Satellite image from Google Maps
- http://www.letthemtalk.com/html/pariswalks/placedesvosges.html Place des Vosges audio tour
- dans le parc