West Penn Airport
|ICAO: none – FAA LID: 9G1|
|Airport type||Public use|
|Owner||Rock Airport of Pittsburgh LLC|
|Serves||Pittsburgh / Tarentum, Pennsylvania|
|Elevation AMSL||1,063 ft / 324 m|
Source: Federal Aviation Administration
Rock Airport (FAA LID: 9G1) is a privately owned, public use airport in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, United States. The airport is located 12 nautical miles (14 mi, 22 km) north-northeast of the central business district of Pittsburgh, near the boroughs of Tarentum and Springdale. The airport is located a few miles north of Pittsburgh Mills shopping mall, which is a major attraction in the Pittsburgh area.
- Facilities and aircraft 1
- Incidents 2
- References 3
- External links 4
Facilities and aircraft
Rock Airport covers an area of 149 acres (60 ha) at an elevation of 1,063 feet (324 m) above mean sea level. It has one runway designated 17/35 with an asphalt surface measuring 3,550 by 100 feet (1,082 x 30 m).
The property went through a major overhaul between 2000 and 2004, and can now accommodate larger aircraft. The airport's former runway, designated 2/20, had an asphalt surface measuring 2,645 by 36 feet (806 x 11 m).
For the 12-month period ending November 23, 2011, the airport had 2,982 aircraft operations, an average of 248 per month: 99% general aviation and 1% military. At that time there were 20 aircraft based at this airport: 95% single-engine and 5% multi-engine.
On May 11, 2011 shortly after 1:45pm two students, a science teacher, and a pilot attempted a takeoff on runway 35. They went off of the end of the runway and fell off of the bank.
- FAA Airport Master Record for 9G1 (PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective May 31, 2012.
- Rock Airport website
- Rock Airport at Pennsylvania DOT Bureau of Aviation
- Aerial image as of April 1993 from USGS The National Map
- FAA Terminal Procedures for 9G1, effective January 7, 2016
Resources for this airport:
- FAA airport information for 9G1
- AirNav airport information for 9G1
- ASN accident history for 9G1
- FlightAware airport information and live flight tracker
- SkyVector aeronautical chart for 9G1