Swimming at the 2012 Summer Olympics – Men's 200 metre butterfly
Men's 200 metre butterfly
at the Games of the XXX Olympiad
|Venue||London Aquatics Centre|
July 30, 2012 (heats &
July 31, 2012 (final)
|Competitors||37 from 28 nations|
|Winning time||1:52.96 AF|
Swimming at the
2012 Summer Olympics
The three-peat curse remained intact at the Olympic Games, as Michael Phelps fell short in his second attempt for the bid with an upset performance from South Africa's Chad le Clos. Seen as almost an immediate triumph for Phelps, Le Clos came from third at the final turn to edge out the superstar and his personal hero by five-hundredths of a second (0.05) for the gold medal and an African record in 1:52.96. Meanwhile, Phelps ended his bid with a shocking defeat from Le Clos, but earned a second silver in 1:53.01 to match Larisa Latynina's record of eighteen medals as the most decorated Olympic athlete of all time. Japan's Takeshi Matsuda managed to repeat his bronze from Beijing four years earlier in 1:53.21.
Austria's Dinko Jukić, who claimed the top seed earlier in the prelims, missed the podium by over a body length with a fourth-place time and a national record in 1:54.35. U.S. swimmer Tyler Clary finished fifth in 1:55.06 to hold off a close battle from Serbia's Velimir Stjepanović (1:55.07) and Poland's three-time Olympic finalist Paweł Korzeniowski (1:55.08) by a hundredth of a second (0.01) each. China's Chen Yin rounded out the historic finale with an eighth-place time in 1:55.18.
Prior to this competition, the world and Olympic records were:
|World record||Michael Phelps (USA)||1:51.51||Rome, Italy||29 July 2009|||
|Olympic record||Michael Phelps (USA)||1:52.03||Beijing, China||13 August 2008|||
No new records were set during this competition.
|2||5||Chad le Clos||South Africa||1:54.34||Q, AF|
|4||4||Tyler Clary||United States||1:54.93||Q|
|1||3||Michael Phelps||United States||1:54.53||Q|
|5||Chad le Clos||South Africa||1:52.96||AF|
|6||Michael Phelps||United States||1:53.01|
|5||2||Tyler Clary||United States||1:55.06|
- "Swimming: Results & Schedules".
- "Chad le Clos beats Michael Phelps for 200m butterfly gold".
- Linden, Julian (31 July 2012). "Phelps loses his touch in butterfly final".
- Rossingh, Danielle (31 July 2012). "Phelps’s Silver Ties Olympic Medal Record, Le Clos Wins Gold".
- "Michael Phelps Ties Olympic Medal Record, Takes Silver In Men's 200m Butterfly Final".
- "Golden years: Le Clos leads upset but Phelps wins record 19th with team".
- "Matsuda third in thrilling 200 butterfly final".
- "2012 London Olympics: South Africa's Chad le Clos Upsets Michael Phelps for 200 Fly Gold; Phelps Still Ties Record for Most Career Olympic Medals; Tyler Clary Misses Podium".
- "2012 London Olympics: Austria's Dinko Jukic Leads Men's 200 Fly Prelims; Tyler Clary Second, Michael Phelps Qualifies Fifth".
- "Phelps becomes most decorated Olympian of all time".
- Radley, Paul (1 August 2012). "Olympics: Superb Stjepanovic just falls short of podium finish".
- Crouse, Karen (30 July 2012). "Phelps Rebounds Amid Boycott Threat".
- "Phelps bounces back with 200m fly world record triumph".
- Siddons, Larry (13 August 2008). "Water-Filled Goggles Can't Keep Phelps From Gold Mark".
- "Men's 200m Butterfly – Heats".
- NBC Olympics Coverage