Swimming at the 2012 Summer Olympics – Men's 400 metre individual medley
Men's 400 metre individual medley
at the Games of the XXX Olympiad
|Venue||London Aquatics Centre|
|Dates||July 28, 2012 (heats & final)|
|Competitors||37 from 29 nations|
Swimming at the
2012 Summer Olympics
U.S. overwhelming favorite Ryan Lochte pulled away from the rest of the field, including double defending champion Michael Phelps, over a wide margin to capture the Olympic title in the event. He rocketed to a strong finish in a sterling textile best of 4:05.18, the second fastest ever behind Phelps' 2008 world record by 1.34 seconds. Meanwhile, Brazil's Thiago Pereira powered home with the silver in a matching South American record of 4:08.86, making him the first swimmer for his nation to claim an Olympic medal in the event, since Ricardo Prado did so in 1984. Japanese teen Kosuke Hagino smashed an Asian record of 4:08.94 to edge Phelps out of the podium for the bronze.
For the first time since his official debut in 2000, Phelps struggled to a fourth-place finish and denied his seventeenth career medal in 4:09.28. He almost missed the final roster by a small fraction of a second, after posting an eighth-seeded time of 4:13.33 from the morning prelims.
South Africa's Chad le Clos (4:12.42), Hagino's teammate Yuya Horihata (4:13.30), Aussie swimmer Thomas Fraser-Holmes (4:13.49), and Italy's Luca Marin (4:14.89) rounded out the historic finale. Surprisingly, Hungary's top medal favorite and European champion László Cseh missed the final by seven-hundredths of a second (0.07) with a ninth-place effort (4:13.40).
- Records 1
- Heats 2.1
- Final 2.2
- References 3
- External links 4
Prior to this competition, the existing world and Olympic records were as follows.
|World record||Michael Phelps (USA)||4:03.84||Beijing, China||10 August 2008|||
|Olympic record||Michael Phelps (USA)||4:03.84||Beijing, China||10 August 2008|||
No new records were set during this competition.
|3||Ryan Lochte||United States||4:05.18|
|4||8||Michael Phelps||United States||4:09.28|
|5||5||Chad le Clos||South Africa||4:12.42|
- "Swimming: Results & Schedules".
- "Ryan Lochte wins medley gold as Michael Phelps finishes fourth".
- "Lochte wins 400 IM final for first US gold".
- Carroll, Mary (28 July 2012). "Brazil Starts Olympics With a Gold: Daily".
- Newberry, Paul (28 July 2012). "Lochte wins 400m IM in blowout; Phelps finishes 4th".
- "2012 London Olympics: Ryan Lochte Posts Textile Best, Demolishes Field in 400 IM; Michael Phelps Misses Podium".
- Adderly, Esther (28 July 2012). "London 2012: Michael Phelps fourth as Ryan Lochte cruises to victory".
- "Slow prelims puts Phelps in unenviable Lane 8 for 400 IM final".
- "2012 London Olympics: Kosuke Hagino With Asian Record to Lead 400 IM; Phelps Underperforms".
- Bishop, Greg (9 August 2008). "Phelps smashes world record to win gold".
- "Opening statement: Phelps grabs gold, WR in 400 IM".
- "Men's 400m Individual Medley – Heats".
- NBC Olympics Coverage