|UFC 109: Relentless|
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||February 6, 2010|
|Venue||Mandalay Bay Events Center|
|City||Las Vegas, Nevada|
A Middleweight Championship bout between Anderson Silva and Vitor Belfort was confirmed by UFC President Dana White, although it was contingent on Silva's successful recovery from elbow surgery. Subsequently, the fight was rescheduled due to Silva's continued slow healing from surgery. The Silva vs. Belfort bout was expected to take place at UFC 112, however Belfort was forced to withdraw from the fight and Demian Maia replaced him, after number one contender Chael Sonnen was not clear to fight.
Antônio Rogério Nogueira had to withdraw from his bout against Brandon Vera due to an ankle injury. It was announced that Vera will face future Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones on March 21, 2010 at UFC Live: Vera vs. Jones.
The bout between Randy Couture and Mark Coleman was originally scheduled for UFC 17 in 1998, but a Couture injury forced the cancellation of the bout. Nearly twelve years later, this bout headlined UFC 109. It marked the first time in UFC history that two Hall of Fame inductees fought in an event.
Mostapha Al-turk ran into visa issues that prevented him from making the trip to Las Vegas his fight against Rolles Gracie. Both Jon Madsen and Joey Beltran were pegged as possible late replacements to step in and fight Rolles Gracie, before Beltran got the nod as the replacement fighter against Gracie.
- This bout aired on the PPV broadcast following the Swick vs. Thiago fight.
- This bout aired last on the PPV broadcast following the Couture vs. Coleman fight.
Fighters were awarded $60,000 bonuses.
- Fight of the Night: Nate Marquardt vs. Chael Sonnen
- Knockout of the Night: Matt Serra
- Submission of the Night: Paulo Thiago
The following is the reported payout to the fighters as reported to the Nevada State Athletic Commission. It does not include sponsor money or "locker room" bonuses often given by the UFC and also do not include the UFC's traditional "fight night" bonuses.
- Randy Couture: $250,000 (no win bonus) def. Mark Coleman: $60,000
- Chael Sonnen: $64,000 (includes $32,000 win bonus) def. Nate Marquardt: $45,000
- Paulo Thiago: $30,000 ($15,000 win bonus) def. Mike Swick: $43,000
- Demian Maia: $62,000 ($31,000 win bonus) def. Dan Miller: $15,000
- Matt Serra: $150,000 ($75,000 win bonus) def. Frank Trigg: $30,000
- Mac Danzig: $40,000 ($20,000 win bonus) def. Justin Buchholz: $8,000
- Melvin Guillard: $28,000 ($14,000 win bonus) def. Ronys Torres: $4,000
- Rob Emerson: $24,000 ($12,000 win bonus) def. Phillipe Nover: $10,000
- Phil Davis: $10,000 ($5,000 win bonus) def. Brian Stann: $17,000
- Chris Tuchscherer: $20,000 ($10,000 win bonus) def. Tim Hague: $7,000
- Joey Beltran: $12,000 ($6,000 win bonus) def. Rolles Gracie: $15,000
- ] attendance of 10,753 for $2.27 million gatesic"UFC 109: Relentless" draws offical [
- UFC Learns the Hard Way That Title Fights = PPV Buys
- "UFC 109: Relentless". UFC.com. December 8, 2009.
- "Renzo Gracie vs. Matt Hughes Off for UFC 109, Still Likely for 2010". mmafrenzy.com. Retrieved November 15, 2009.
- "Silva vs. Akiyama uncertain for UFC 110; St-Pierre vs. Hardy targeted instead?". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved November 21, 2009.
- """Anderson: "Recovery not going as planned. Fighter's Only Magazine. Retrieved November 18, 2009.
- Anderson Silva's recovery slow, not fighting Vitor Belfort at UFC 109
- "Anderson Silva vs. Vitor Belfort In The Works for UFC 112 in Abu Dhabi". mmafrenzy.com. January 6, 2010.
- "Little Nog" out of UFC 109; Brandon Vera vs. Jon Jones targeted for March 31
- "Mike Swick Replaces Josh Koscheck, Will Face Paulo Thiago at UFC 109". mmafighting.com. Retrieved December 28, 2009.
- "Couture-Coleman Slated for UFC 109". sherdog.com. Retrieved January 15, 2010.
- "AL-TURK IN DOUBT FOR UFC 109 WITH VISA ISSUES". mmaweekly.com. Retrieved February 2, 2010.
- "Mustapha Al-Turk may be off of UFC 109". aroundtheoctagon.com. Retrieved January 29, 2010.
- "UFC newcomer Joey Beltran likely to replace Mostapha Al Turk at UFC 109". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved February 2, 2010.
- "Joey Beltran official as late replacement, faces Rolles Gracie on UFC 109 prelims". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved February 3, 2010.
- "Dand White: UFC 109 co-headliners Marquardt and Sonnen fighting for title shot". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved February 4, 2010.
- "UFC 109 bonuses: Sonnen, Marquardt, Thiago, and Serra earn $60K each". MMAjunkie. February 6, 2010. Retrieved February 6, 2010.
- "UFC 109 salaries: Couture's $250K flat payday leads $944K fighter payroll". MMAjunkie.com. February 7, 2010. Retrieved February 7, 2010.
- "Spike TV's "UFC Prelims" broadcast for UFC 109 earns series-high 1.7 million viewers". MMAjunkie.com. February 9, 2010. Retrieved March 3, 2011.