Yerevan State University
|Երևանի Պետական Համալսարան|
The main entrance of Yerevan State University
|Established||May 16, 1919|
Yerevan State University (YSU) (Armenian: Երևանի Պետական Համալսարան, ԵՊՀ) is a public university in Yerevan, Armenia. Founded on May 16, 1919, it is the largest university in the country with 110 departments. Of its 3,150 employees, 1,190 comprise the teaching staff which includes 25 academicians, 130 professors, 700 docents (associate professors), and 360 assistant lecturers. The university has 400 researchers, 1,350 post-graduate students, and 8,500 undergraduates, including 300 students from abroad.
- History 1
- Ranking 2
- Faculty of Physics 3.1
- Faculty of Mathematics and Mechanics 3.2
- Faculty of Radiophysics 3.3
- Faculty of Informatics and Applied Mathematics 3.4
- Faculty of Chemistry 3.5
- Faculty of Biology 3.6
- Faculty of Geography and Geology 3.7
- Faculty of Philosophy and Psychology 3.8
- Faculty of Sociology 3.9
- Faculty of Theology 3.10
- Faculty of History 3.11
- Faculty of Armenian Philology 3.12
- Faculty of Russian Philology 3.13
- Faculty of Oriental Studies 3.14
- Faculty of Romance and Germanic Philology 3.15
- Faculty of Journalism 3.16
- Faculty of Economics 3.17
- Faculty of Law 3.18
- Faculty of International Relations 3.19
- Schools and faculties 4
- Campuses 5
- Notable alumni 6
- See also 7
- References 8
- External links 9
Yerevan State University was established in May, 1919 and was officially inaugurated on January 23, 1921.
The university was called Yerevan Popular University and was situated on Astafyan (now Abovyan) street in the building of the former teaching seminary, which was built around 1900-1906.
The construction of new buildings (architect E. Tigranyan) began in the fifties in the territory between Mravyan and Charents streets, they are still there. The first rector of the YSU was H. Manandyan (1921).
Initially there were two faculties: of physical sciences and of social sciences. Later new ones were inaugurated – agricultural, oriental, and technical (1921). In 1923 the labor faculty was jointed. In 1930 Polytechnic, Medical, Cooperative and Pedagogical Institutes were established in Yerevan on the base of the faculties of YSU.
Because of the latter process of separation of faculties into separate institutions (universities), the YSU is referred to as the "Mother University".
In 2010, according to University Ranking by Academic Performance (URAP), it is the best university in Armenia and 1394th university in the world of total 2000 institutions that have entered list. According to some ranking in the world today there are more than 20 000 universities.
Faculty of Physics
- Professions Taught
- Nuclear Physics (Physics of Nuclear Reactors)
- Applied Mathematics and Physics
The process of training specialists in the field of physics and mathematics began in 1922 in YSU. The establishment of an independent faculty of Physics and Mathematics with separate Chairs of Physics and Mathematics in 1933 was a significant step towards developing physics in Armenia.
To strengthen the development of physics, and in order to provide more new specialists in our republic, the Faculty of Physics was separated from the Physical and Mathematical Faculty in 1959. The first dean of the Faculty was NAS RA Academician Norayr Kocharyan.
The Faculty staff is composed of highly qualified specialists. Currently NAS RA three Academicians and NAS RA five Associate members, 36 Doctors of Sciences, and more than 80 Candidates of Sciences are involved in the tutoring process of this Faculty.
Since the 2006-2007 academic year, the Faculty has been offering the specialization of Pedagogue of Physics (distance learning).
The scientific-research activities, which are conducted in the laboratories of the Faculty, correspond to the present demands of the field both scientifically and technically.
There is also an equipped computer room with modern technologies, which enables students to get acquainted with modern scientific experiments and automated systems of technology management.
Different international grants and many projects, financed by state budget, witness about the active scientific life at this Faculty.
Currently scientific-research activities are undertaken within the framework of 13 international grants (with the total financing of 1.5 million dollars) and 15 projects on budgetary financing (25% of budgetary themes and scientific positions of YSU).
Faculty of Mathematics and Mechanics
- Professions Taught
- Actuarial Mathematics
The training of specialists in the area of mathematics was launched in YSU in 1924 at the Department of Physics and Mathematics of the Faculty of Social Sciences. In 1933 this department was transformed into Physico-mathematical Faculty. In 1959 the faculty was divided into two independent faculties: Mechanics and Mathematics and Physics. In 1963 a specialization Mathematical Cybernetics was offered at the Faculty of Mechanics and Mathematics. The later served as a basis for the foundation of the Faculty of Informatics and Applied Mathematics in 1972.
In 1988 the Faculty of Mechanics and Mathematics was divided into two faculties: Mechanics, Mathematics. And in 2007 those were again unified into one faculty of Mathematics and Mechanics.
Currently four Academicians, four NAS RA associate members, 17 doctors of sciences and 45 candidates of physico-mathematical sciences are involved in the tutoring process at this faculty. The faculty provides training in three specializations: mathematics, mechanics and actuarial mathematics. The educational system is three degrees system: bachelor, Master of Arts and postgraduate studies.
The faculty trains highly qualified specialists for different areas of modern mathematics.
The faculty's graduates get the bachelor's degree of a mathematician, master's degree in mathematics and also the qualification of teacher of mathematics. They can work in different scientific-research institutes, secondary schools and IHE.
The faculty management makes a focus on the development of branches of mathematics, which have great demand today. The launch of the specialization Actuarial Mathematics was a significant step regarding this issue. These specialists combine the specializations of mathematician, financial specialist, sociologist and investment manager.
A reading hall, which provides the access to the literature, corresponding to the educational program, is at the disposal of the students. The electronic library and internet access are available, too.
The faculty has developed active scientific cooperation with a number of famous mathematical centers, IHE and scientific-research centers all over the world, such as NAS RA Institute of Mathematics, Moscow State University after M. Lomonosov, NAN RF Institute of Mathematics after Steklov in Russia, Trir University (Germany), Stockholm Royal Technological University (Sweden), TTU (Finland) and University of Applied Sciences in Schmalkalden in Germany.
Faculty of Radiophysics
- Professions Taught
- Radiophysics and Electronics
- Physics of Semiconductors and Microelectronics
- Telecommunications and Signals Development
The date of this Faculty's foundation is June, 1975. It was founded on the basis of the Faculty of Physics. The graduates of this faculty have deep knowledge in Theoretical Physics and high engineering skills.
In 1975 four chairs of this faculty trained 371 students. But in mid-1980s the total number of students reached 650.
During the 31 years of its existence, the faculty has trained more than 2500 specialists. 200 of them have different scientific degrees. Most of them have become outstanding scientists, managers of production, state officials. Part of them is involved in the academic process of the faculty.
Currently there are 4 chairs at this faculty; Ultra High Frequency Radiophysics and Telecommunications, Physics of Semiconductors and Microelectronics, Wave Process Theory and Physics, and Higher Mathematics as well as the Scientific-Research Center of Semiconductor Devices and Nanotechnologies.
Three specializations are available at this faculty: radiophysics and electronics, physics of semi-conductors and microelectronics, telecommunications and signal research.
The specialization Synopsis is also available at this faculty, which trains specialists in the area of design of ultrahigh integral schemes. 420 students, bachelors and masters, are currently trained at the faculty. Two academicians, 15 doctors and professors and 33 candidates of sciences are occupied in the educational process at this faculty.
Faculty of Informatics and Applied Mathematics
- Professions Taught
- Informatics and Applied Mathematics
The Faculty of Informatics and Applied Mathematics (IAM) of the Yerevan State University is a leading educational and scientific centre preparing fundamental research scientists as well as highly qualified programmers.
The Faculty was founded in 1971 (initially called the Faculty of Applied Mathematics) on the base of the Chair of Computing Mathematics, which was established at the Faculty of Physics and Mathematics in 1957. A decisive role in Faculty's establishment, defining the roadmap of its scientific research and preparing human resources for the Faculty was played by such distinguished scientists as: A.A. Lyapunov, S.N. Mergelyan, Yu.I. Zhuravlev. S.N. Mergelyan was also the first Head of the Chair of Numerical Analysis - one of the three Chairs of the newly founded Faculty.
At present the Faculty of IAM consists of three chairs: the Chair of Programming and Information Technologies, the Chair of Discrete Mathematics and Theoretical Computer Science and the Chair of Numerical Analysis and Mathematical Modelling. The Staff of the Faculty includes more than 10 Doctors of Sciences and around 50 of the employees are Candidates of Science. Many of them are well-known not only in Armenia but also abroad. The Faculty prepares Bachelors specialized in "Informatics and Applied Mathematics" (both, full - and part-time). All three Chairs of the Faculty provide courses for this purpose. The Faculty provides master's degree in four different programmes. Three of them are carried out by the Faculty Chairs and one is being realized in collaboration with SYNOPSYS company. The study plan for the students of the Faculty provides a fundamental mathematical training and a wide spectrum of courses, related to computers and programming; a significant part of study is a practical work realized on computers.
Since its establishment the Faculty of IAM has been collaborating productively with the Yerevan Research Institute of Mathematical Machines and the Institute for Informatics and Automation Problems of NAS of Armenia (former Computing Centre of Academy of Sciences of Armenian SSR), being the main provider of highly qualified specialists for these organizations. The Faculty has close scientific contacts with leading educational and scientific centres of Russia, such as M.V. Lomonosov Moscow State University, Dorodnicyn Computing Centre and Steklov Mathematical Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences. Employees and post-graduate students of the Faculty defend their dissertations in Armenia and also in mentioned above centres in Russia. The Faculty has scientific contacts with the Trier University, Germany.
Lots of the graduates are working in different countries in the fields, where computers are used, that is academic and research institutes, universities, state and government organizations, banks, companies with IT profile etc.
Faculty of Chemistry
- Applied Chemistry
- Ecological Chemistry
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry
Chemistry tutoring was launched at the university in 1921. It was realized owing to the newly opened Chair of Chemistry, where S. Ghambaryan, A. Hakobyan, L. Rotinyan and H. Akunyan started their activities, directed to the welfare of the Armenian nation.
Dean of the faculty, specialist of agro-chemistry P. Kalantaryan and the Rector of that time specialist of biochemistry H. Hovhannisyan have also made their significant contribution in this area.
The joint Chemistry department was managed by Professor S. Ghambaryan for many years. Being scientific since the inception of its existence, it became famous for its research in the field of organic chemistry, where the main scientific orientation was the research of the reaction of superoxide amines, which has continued successfully to this day.
Other research is realized at this faculty, such as on plants producing ether oils. In 1927 the joint chair was divided into two chairs - those of Organic and Physical Chemistry.
The Faculty of Chemistry was formed as a separate faculty in 1933. Professor Grigory Ter-Ghazaryan became the faculty Dean in 1934.
Since 1933 a new specialization has been offered on the basis of the Faculty of Chemistry - that of Chemistry and Environmental Protection, and since 1994 - a specialization in Pharmaceutics.
Criteria of school educational projects of Chemistry and manuals are discussed and worked out at this faculty.
This faculty is an internationally recognized scientific center.
The faculty has established strong relations with leading foreign scientific centers: USA-Northwestern University (Evanston), Arizona University (Tyson), University of California (Davis), Germany-Rostock, Munster, Karlsruhe, Regensburg, Bochum universities, England-University of London, Birkbeck College, Italy-University of Bologna, France- Paris-Sud University, Montpelier University, Agrarian Institute of France, Poland-Silesian University (Katowice), Maria Curie Sklodowska University (Lublin), Russia-Moscow State University, RF Institute of Elementary Organic Chemistry (Moscow), Institute of Organic Chemistry, Institute of Chemical Physics, Institute of Structural Macrokinetics, Institute of Human Brain (Sankt-Peterburg).
Faculty of Biology
The Faculty of Biology was founded in 1933, but the process of its founding had started right from YSU foundation. Over different periods of time it used to exist as an Academic Division at the Faculty of Natural Sciences and Pedagogical Faculty of YSU under following names: Sub department of Biology, Department of Biology and Cycle of Biology.
Currently the faculty is structured as eight chairs: Botany, Zoology, Human and Animal Physiology, Ecology and Nature Protection, Microbiology and Biotechnology of Plants and Microbes, Genetics and Cytology, Biochemistry and Biophysics. Scientific-research groups act at each of these chairs, included in five scientific-research laboratories: General Biology, Biochemistry of Nitrogen Compounds, Biology and Biotechnology of Fungi, Biophysics of Subcellular Structures and a joint laboratory with YSU Faculty of Physics on Structural Biophysics. At the same time state financed scientific-research groups develop their activities at different chairs. This faculty is one of the largest highly ranked scientific-research centers of YSU. We must underline that more than 100 researchers are involved in the scientific-research process here.
Currently 3 NAS RA Academicians, 3 NAS RA Associate members, 22 Doctors of Sciences and more than 100 Candidates are involved in the training process of the faculty. All this states about the high level and scientific potential of the faculty. General research directions of the faculty are in the area of Molecular and Cellular biology, Molecular Biophysics, Biophysics of Membranes, Comparative and Evolutionary Biochemistry, Biochemistry of Plants, Biology and Fungi Researches, Bacteriology, Biotechnology of Microbes and Plants, Molecular Genetics and Cell Genetics of Man, Genetic Engineering, Zoology and Histology, Physiology of Higher Nervous Activity of Humans and Animals, Psychophysiology, Ecology of Biocenosis and Nature Protection. Many of the graduates are worldwide known scientists. They develop scientific activities in scientific centers of former USSR and abroad. The outstanding specialists of the faculty have established relations with their colleagues from foreign scientific-research centers (USA, France, Great Britain, Germany, Italy, Japan, Russia etc.). They present numerous scientific reports and hold lectures there.
More than 500 students study at the faculty and about 40 students have chosen distance learning here. More than 30 students are working on their research papers to get the degree of a Candidate (PHD and applicants). The educational system is three degrees system: Bachelor, Master of Science and Ph.D.
"GeneClub" acts at the Chair of Genetics and Cytology.
Faculty of Geography and Geology
- Cartography and Cadastral Activities
In 1933-1934 in Geological and Geographical Faculty was opened in YSU. In 1935, departments of geography and geology separated from each other, and two separate faculties were formed: Faculties of Geology and Geography.
In June 2008, at the basis of Faculties of Geology and Geography Faculty the Faculty of Geography and Geology was founded.
In parallel with the process of training scientific-research activities are conducted at the Faculty of Geography and Geology in the following areas: cartography and geodesy, hydrology, study of water problems, the deep structure of the crust, formation of the mineral fields and develop methods of search and research, the study of the hydro-geological, geochemical phenomena, geophysical fields, the phenomena of landslides. Also activities on the seismic zoning of the territory, the emergence and predicting of earthquakes, the safe use of hydro-technical mechanisms are undertaken.
Eight chairs function in the structure of the faculty:
The following special programs, master programs, a corresponding practice is also available at this faculty.
- Hydrometeorology and Engineering Geology
- Historical and Regional Geology
- Mine Explorations and Investigation
- Social Geography
- Natural Geography
- Geoinformatics and Cartography
- Nature Exploitation and Ecology
Students take training and practical work at various enterprises, in the administrative institutions of Yerevan and the regions of Armenia, RA Ministry of Nature Protection, Department of Hydrometeorology, Institute of Geodesy, YSU educational-recreational centers "Byurakan" and "Marmarik" in Yerevan schools, in various parts of Armenia, at the Institute of Geology, National Service of Seismic Protection and the chairs of the faculty. Students of the Faculty are also involved in geological expeditions conducted in various parts of Armenia. The faculty conducts scientific-research activities in the following areas:
Studies of water resources of Armenia and evaluation of effective use Research and development of effective methods to prevent the degradation of landscapes of the RA Estimation of the risk of natural disasters of the RA Study of sustainable development of the territory of Armenia and development projects Studies and evaluation of the hydro-geological structure of the Sevan basin and anthropogenic influences, Development of projects and geochemical methods to find oil and gas mines
The following investment projects, contributing to the economy, are leading at the Faculty of Geography and Geology: the issue of new ways of introducing gas flammable substances and wastes in a super-adiabatic way (supervisor Robert Gevorgyan) the use of Armenian natural zeolites, modified by a thermo-chemical method, the effective neutralization of radioactive waste liquids (supervisor Robert Gevorgyan)
The following shall be considered minor investment projects that promote economic development: modeling, forecasting of water hazards, risk assessment and rapid response (supervisor T. Vardanyan) establishment of a specialized company for the purpose of organizing and carrying out of geological works (supervisor Robert Movsesyan) mapping of palaeontological sites (suprevisor R. Minasyan) the proposal of new antifiltration items (construction materials) in hydro-technmical engineering (supervisor S. Hayroyan) atlas of geomorphologic danger and the risk of territory of Armenia (supervisor - V. Boynagryan)
The number of students is 684. Bachelors are 595, masters - 89. 24 PHD students study at the faculty. 16 of them are foreign citizens.
The faculty offers distance learning for bachelors and masters.
The professorial staff of the faculty is: NAS RA 1 Academician, 7 professors, 32 assistant professors, 4 assistants, 16 lecturers.
Faculty of Philosophy and Psychology
The process of this faculty's foundation began in 1964. The Chair of Philosophy of YSU Faculty of History served as a basis to open the Department of Philosophy here. The first generation of graduates left the department in 1969.
Before 1970 the philosophy tutoring was implemented by the only Chair of Philosophy. In 1970 the Chair of Philosophy was divided into three different chairs, functioning up now.
In 1982 the Department was separated from the Faculty of History and a new Faculty of Philosophy and Sociology was founded. Before 1990 both the philosophers and sociologists used to apply together and from the 3rd Academic year to choose the specialization. After such preparation of required specialists in 1991 the section of Sociology was separated from the Philosophy section and became an independent department, and the department of Social work separated from this one in 1995 in its term.
In 1992 the Department of Psychology was opened at this faculty and it was renamed the Faculty of Philosophy, Sociology and Psychology. The Chair of Political Science was a part of this faculty till 1998, when it joined the newly formed Faculty of International Relations.
In 2004 the chairs of Sociology and Social Work also separated from this faculty and formed a new faculty. So, the faculty was renamed again-Faculty of Philosophy and Psychology.
Five chairs, the experimental psychology laboratory, scientific-research laboratories for experimental psychology and for personal and professional activities function in its structure, as well as Centre for Applied Psychology. One NAS RA Academician, 1 NAS RA associate member, 11 doctors of sciences and professors and 25 candidates of sciences and assistant professors are involved in the educational process of the faculty currently.
Center for Applied Psychology was opened at YSU Faculty of Philosophy and Psychology in 2008.
Goals of the department: The Chair is responsible for: Conducting Courses in Psychology Fundamentals and Special Courses in Psychology at YSU departments; Conducting a range of extensive and fundamental subjects at the Baccalaureate of Psychology Department; Masters’ specializations in:
a) Organizational and Management Psychology;
b) Psychology of Emergency and Crisis Situations.
Under the auspices of the Chair a wide range of academic and social events are regularly organized:
a) Conferences and workshops (including international ones);
Faculty of Sociology
- Social Work
YSU Faculty of Sociology was opened in September 2004. The Chair of Social Work and Social Technologies was separated from the Chair of Applied Sociology in 2004, which was opened at YSU Faculty of Philosophy and Sociology in 1986. Currently the following specializations are available here: Sociology, Social Work, Conflict Resolution, Methodology of Social Researches and PR. Beginning with 2007-2008 Academic year distance learning in the area of Sociology and Social Work is available, too (Bachelors, 4 years).
Laboratories for Applied Sociological Researches and Distance Learning function at this faculty. Courses with the duration of one year are available at the Distance Learning Laboratory in the area of Social Work and PR specializations. Preparatory courses for foreign students in the area of Sociology with the duration of one year are also available in this laboratory beginning with 2007-2008 Academic year.
Centre for Regional Integration and Conflict Resolution and Library act at this faculty. Professorial staff and studentship can find all necessary modern literature in English language in this library.
The great scientific-research potential of the faculty (22 specialists with scientific degree) has helped to implement various projects in the area of studies of issues in many spheres of our life. Professorial staff of the faculty has published many scientific articles and manuals in our republic and abroad. The annual scientific conference of the faculty is organized in each November and the report is being published.
The lecturers, PHD students as well specialists from USA and Western Europe periodically participate in methodological seminars organized by chairs. Professorial staff of the faculty periodically takes qualification courses in leading scientific-research centers of USA, FRG, France, Italy, Hungary, Great Britain, India, Sweden as well as leading universities of CIS.
YSU Faculty of Sociology has established cooperation with the RA Ministry of Labor and Social Issues. The cooperation on international level is established, too: Humboldt University of Berlin, Munster University, Ruhr University of Bochum, University of Potsdam, Swiss Institute of Peace, Uppsala University of Sweden, Saratov State University. Chair of Sociology is the member of International Sociological Association.
Faculty of Theology
The Faculty of Theology was founded on 1 September in 1995. The founder-dean of the above-mentioned faculty was NAS RA and YSU Honorable Doctor of Philosophy and Philology, Professor Shahe Archbishop Ajamian.
Three chairs function at the faculty: Chair of Theology, Chair of History and Theory of Religion and Chair of History of Ecclesiology and Armenian Church (from 2006-2007 Academic year). A specialized "Atchemyan library", a unique one in the country, makes the academic process more effective.
The educational process here is based on four principal directions: Introduction and Interpretation of the Bible, (Introduction and Interpretation of Old and New Testaments), Theoretical Theology (Doctrinal Theology, Petrology, Armenian Theological Chronicles), Historical Theology (General History of Church, History of the Armenian Church, Ethics, History of Religions), and Practical Theology (Science of Religion, Chronology, Moral Theology, Science of Rituals).
Since 2004 Dean of the faculty is the bishop Anoushavan Zhamkochyan. The best traditions were not only continued, but also new excellent initiatives were called to life.
Since 2006 scientific-educational publications "Annals" and "Armenian Theologist" are published here, where lecturers and PHD students of YSU faculties of History, Theology and Philology publish their articles. The edition of series "Atchemyan" was launched again.
Library-workroom of theology "Atchemyan" was completed with second reading-hall.
New computer and language tutoring special halls were opened.
It has become a tradition to organize the practice in various sacred places of Armenia, as well as the participation of students in a variety of festive ceremonies.
The relations and cooperation with the European universities, including the universities of Strasbourg and Aleppo, are developed. Not only theologians teach at the faculty periodically who have worldwide recognition, but also our best students continue their studies in these universities.
More specialists with various degrees are currently involved in the educational process here who have international recognition. Young specialists, the majority of whom are our graduates, have already received their degrees.
Two auditoriums of the faculty have been renovated and named after the names of perished soldiers of Karabakh war-Vardan Bakhshyan and Vardan Dallakyan, and one audience-after Catholicos of All Armenians Vazgen I Paltchyan.
SC and SSS of the faculty make the scientific life develop and students' everyday life more interesting and diverse.
Faculty of History
- Fine Arts
- Cultural Studies
Historians have been trained in YSU since the day of its foundation.
Before it became a separate Faculty, it had functioned as a Department within the Historical-Linguistic Faculty in 1920, later as a subsection of the Division of Social Sciences, and then as a Department within the Pedagogical, Oriental and Historical-geographical Faculties from 1921 till 1930.
The Faculty of History began functioning as an independent faculty in 1936-1937 academic years. Deans of History Subsection, Section, and then of Faculty were H. Manandyan, H. Choryan, S. Poghosyan, N. Poghosyan, B. Harutyunyan, M. Nersisyan, H. Zhamkochyan, G. Sharoyan, H. Petrosyan, R. Movsisyan, H. Ghazaryan, M. Hovhannisyan, and B. Harutyunyan. H. Avetisyan was the dean of the faculty from 2004 to 2009. In 2009 Edik Minasyan was elected the faculty dean.
Outstanding scientists, academicians H.Manandyan, B.Piotrovsky M.Nersesyan, A.Novhannesyan, G .Sargsyan, G. Gharibjanyan, B.Arakelyan, H.Avetisyan, L.Khurshudyan, Vl. Barkhudaryan, H. Simonyan, associate members M. Hasratyan, V. Rshtuny, S. Harutyunyan, professors Leo, St. Lisitsyan, K.Ghafadaryan, Kh. Samvelyan, G. Mikayelyan, A. Abrahamyan, A. Kalantar and many other specialists have developed pedagogical activities at this faculty in different years.
Departments of Philosophy, Theory and History of the International relations used to function in the structure of this faculty in different times. The current departments available are History, History and Theory of Armenian art and Cultural Science.
Since the day of its foundation the Faculty has produced about 7000 graduate-historians, who are occupied in the spheres of pedagogy, science, state sector, public life, etc.
Currently 6 chairs and 2 research laboratories function in the structure of this faculty.
Faculty of Armenian Philology
- Armenian Language and Literature
The Faculty of Armenian Philology is one of the pioneers among YSU faculties. The now independent faculties of Oriental Studies, Russian Philology, Romance-Germanic Philology, and Journalism were formed from its basis.
The first tutors of this faculty were highly merited persons of Armenian studies Hakob Manandyan and Manouk Abeghyan, Hrachya Atcharyan and Grigor Ghapantsyan, Simon Hakobyan and Arsen Terteryan. Famous armenologists M. Mkryan, S. Ghazaryan, G Sevak, H. Barseghyan, Ed. Aghayan, Hr. Tamrazyan, G. Jahoukyan, Al. Margaryan, H. Mamikonyan, S. Soghomonyan and others have been their disciples, as well as well-known lecturers scientists such as Doctors A. Souqiasyan, S. Galstyan, A. Sharuryan, H. Makhchanyan, V. Gabrielyan, L. Yezekyan, Kh. Badikyan, S. Mouradyan, H. Edoyan, L. Hovsepyan, L. Mnatsakanyan, Zh. Kalantaryan, R. Ghazaryan, A. Avagyan, R. Sakapetoyan, K. Aghabekyan and others.
In parallel with the organization of educational process scientific researches which have significantly promoted the development almost in all areas of Armenian studies are undertaken at this faculty.
The faculty's graduates are occupied in different educational and cultural institutions of the RA and Diaspora, promoting the further development of scientific life.
Many tutors of Native Language and Literature have studied at this faculty in different times (Hovhannes Shiraz, Silva Kaputikyan, Vahagn Davtyan, Paruyr Sevak), literature specialists and linguists (M. Mkryan, Hr. Tamrazyan, S. Aghababyan, Ed. Jrbashyan, S. Sarinyan, Ed. Aghayan, G, Jahukyan, H. Barseghyan) and others.
President of the Republic of Armenia Serzh Sargsyan, worldwide known wrestler David Torosyan, hero of Artsakh Liberation Movement Samvel Gevorgyan and many other outstanding personalities are the graduates of this faculty. There are also ministers of the Third Republic among the graduates of this faculty.
Faculty of Russian Philology
- Russian language and Literature
Translation work: Russian and Armenian Languages Linguistics and Intercultural Communication: Russian Language Russian Language and Literature for Foreign Citizens The faculty trains specialists in the area of Russian Language and Philology. The educational system is the two-level one: Bachelors and Masters of Arts. The graduates of this faculty become lecturers of Russian Language and Literature. They can also be occupied in the area of translational skills. Many of them are scientific employees as well as specialists in the area of intercultural communication.
Currently 4 chairs function in the structure of this faculty: Chair of Russian Literature Chair of Russian Linguistics, Typology, and Theory of Communication Chair of Russian Language (Faculties of Natural Sciences) Chair of Russian Language (Humanities' Faculties)
Studentship is provided with an opportunity to study Greek, Polish, Bulgarian and Ukrainian languages along with other necessary subjects at this faculty.
The scientific-research activities of the faculty include researches in the theory and methodology of teaching Russian language, comparative grammar, Russian literature history, Russian-Armenian literary relations, theory and practice of translation. Lecturers of the faculty have issued a series of monographs on Russian language and Russian literature, a large number of manuals and teaching materials on Russian language, where the foreign language teaching specifications are considered. Specialists of the faculty take an active participation in international scientific forums, annual republican and university scientific conferences, in the result of which a series of anthologies and monographs are always published.
The faculty has established relations and cooperation with universities and research institutions of Russian Federation, as well as centers of Russian Studies in a number of foreign countries.
In recent years (about 6 students annually) are provided with summer language courses in Greece and Bulgaria. Such an agreement is also signed with Poland.
The scientific-research activities of the Chair of Russian Literature are generally occupied in the area of history of Russian Literature, Armenian- Russian literary relations, historical-cultural communications and theory of literature. These researches are published in annual compilation "The December readings".
Scientific-methodical directions of the Chair of Russian Linguistics, Typology and Theory of Communication are: 1) urgent issues of modern Russian language, 2) issues of language typology, 3) theory of communication, including the issues of intercultural communication and translation.
Four equipped special auditoriums and a library are available at this faculty.
Currently more than 80 lecturers are involved in the educational process at this faculty with doctors and candidates of sciences among them.
Faculty of Oriental Studies
- Persian/Iranian Studies
- Arabic Studies
- Turkish Studies
The courses on Oriental Studies were conducted in YSU from its very foundation. The first lecturer of oriental studies was Gevorg Asatour, who was invited to YSU in 1921 as a specialist of Georgian language and Oriental literature. In 1923 an outstanding philologist Hrachya Acharyan was invited from Tabriz. He tutored various disciplines such as Persian Language, Sanskrit, History of Persian language etc.
In September 1940 Professor Hrachya Acharyan initiated the foundation of a Department of Oriental Philology. This was followed by the successful establishment of the Department of Oriental Languages and Literature with its 2 branches: Persian Arabic and.
In 1968 the Faculty of Oriental Studies was introduced as a separate body. Professor Georgy Nalbandyan was appointed the dean of the faculty.
Initially 2 specialized chairs, Oriental Philology and Oriental History, were available only. Currently this faculty offers studies at three chairs - Persian Studies, Arabic Studies and Turkish Studies. According to the modern demands in the area of Oriental Studies Hindi, Afghani, Sanskrit, Belujian, Kurdish and Hebrew languages are currently taught at this faculty.
Currently 525 students study at three chairs of the faculty. The faculty has established relations with the leading centers of Oriental Studies abroad. It successfully realizes plans directed to the development of scientific cooperation with the chairs of universities and scientists in Iran, Egypt, Syria, UAE, Lebanon and other countries. The Faculty also cooperates with Matenadaran, Center of Persian Studies of Caucasus, "Iran-Name" oriental periodical and other institutions.
Faculty of Romance and Germanic Philology
- English Language and Literature
- Translation Studies: English and Armenian
- Linguistics and Cross-cultural Communication: English
- German Language and Literature
- Translation Studies: German and Armenian
- French Language and Literature
- Translation Studies: French and Armenian
- Spanish Language and Literature
- Translation Studies: Spanish and Armenian
- Italian Language and Literature
- Foreign Literature
The Faculty of Romance and Germanic Philology was founded in 1991 on the basis of Romance and Germanic department of the philological faculty.
To comply with the requirements of science, economy and culture new educational projects and teaching programmes were developed implementing modern and effective methods of language studies.
Within a short period the newly organized faculty managed to offer all necessary facilities for high standards of knowledge.
There are English and German language laboratories, Foreign literature and Translation Studies Rooms, French and Italian Studies Centres in the faculty.
At present 1700 students study at the faculty. In the academic year of 2007-2008 the Italian language department was founded to replenish the already existing departments of English, French, German, Spanish and Translation studies.
About 200 lecturers comprise the staff of the Faculty. Six of them are professors and more forty of them are candidates of sciences.
The main fields of the scientific investigations of the chairs are: Semantics, Text Linguistics, Lexicology, Pragmatics, Problems of Foreign Literature, Modern Methods of Teaching, Foreign languages, Translation Studies as well as other aspects of language studies.
The alumni of the faculty of Romance and Germanic Philology are successfully involved in the highest spheres of state and governmental structures, many different institutions and companies of the republic as well as in the embassies of foreign countries and international organizations functioning in the RA.
Faculty of Journalism
YSU Department of Journalism was founded in 1949 as a part of the Faculty of Philology, but did not function permanently.
As a separate faculty YSU Faculty of Journalism was founded on 1 October 1991 by YSU Rectorate decision. First dean of the faculty, NAS RA Associate member Garnik Ananyan has got a great contribution in the process of foundation. Being one of the youngest structures of YSU, Faculty of Journalism has got some significant advantages owing to its policy in the area of training process. All this states about that this faculty is the leading one in the area of training journalists among our HEI.
Three-level educational system is available here: Bachelors, Masters of Arts and PHD studies. The skills, obtained by students during the first four years satisfy the demands of this specialization and they can start their professional way. As for the magistracy, the duration of education here is two years. Here the studentship is provided with deeper level of knowledge.
Best masters continue their studies taking PHD courses. Later more specialists start to work as lecturers.
Two chairs function in the structure of the faculty: Chair of the History and Theory of Press and Chair of Radio and TV Journalism. The training process at these chairs is provided by highly qualified and skillful specialists. There are graduates of the faculty among them.
All necessary conditions for the educational process are available at this faculty to provide the theoretical and practical processes. Here we must underline the role of Multimedia Centre "Garnik Ananyan". Here modern radio and TV studios, equipped with all the required equipment for audio-video recording and editing are available, as well as a Computer Hall with Internet access and the editorial house of student newspaper "Journalist".
The Council of Ethics functions in the structure of the faculty, which has established the Code of Ethics of the faculty.
The application of new technologies is signified at the faculty. Greater part of the educational process is realized virtually via electronic communication between students and professorial staff. The "Event" is an electronic periodical (www.ancudarc.am). It is the only electronic periodical in Armenia, where students are journalists and lecturers are editors.
Cooperation is established with the UN PIA in Armenia, OSCE Yerevan Office, EC Information Office in Armenia, European Commission Delegation and NATO IC. Cooperation with leading foreign HEI is being developed permanently.
The professorial staff of the faculty is: 3 doctors, professors, 3 assistant professors, 8 candidates of philological sciences. The number of students is 334: Bachelors are 222 and Masters-62, from whom 50 prefer the distance learning. PHD students are 3.
The distance learning, available at this faculty beginning with 2007 will help many journalists who have experience in this field, but do not have corresponding education in the area.
The specialization available at the faculty is Journalism.
Faculty of Economics
- International Economics
- Finance and Accounting
The training of economists with higher education began at YSU in 1921 at the Faculty of Soviet Construction (later at the Faculty of Social Sciences, Social-Economic and Faculty of Economics).
In 1975 this Faculty served as a basis for founding Yerevan Institute of National Economy. In 1984 the Faculty of Economics was reopened in YSU with a specialization in Economic Cybernetics. Nowadays the Faculty of Economics offers undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate (including doctoral) degrees. The educational system is three-level system here: Bachelor, Master of Arts and PHD.
More than 80 lecturers are involved in the educational process of this faculty at 6 chairs. Master's programs of this faculty are:
- Theory of Economics
- Modeling of Economics
- Information Systems of Management
- International Economics
- Business Management
- Finances, Crediting and Monetary Circulation
Higher education in the area of second specialization is available at YSU Faculty of Economics, too.
- International Economics
- Theory of Economics
- Finance and Accounting
- Mathematical Modeling
Faculty of Law
- Science of Law
The Faculty of Law of the Yerevan State University is one of the oldest faculties of Alma Mater with rich educational and scientific traditions formed during 75 years of its history.
Now the YSU Faculty of Law is truly the leader in the field of higher legal education and the main institution preparing the legal cadres in the Republic of Armenia. Within the last 75 years more than 12 000 students graduated from the Faculty being employed by the government agencies, law-enforcing and judicial bodies, as well as banks, international organizations and private business.
The educational process in the YSU Faculty of Law, as in the whole University, consists of three levels: Bachelor's Degree, Master's Degree and Post - Graduate Degree (Aspirantura).
There is also a five-year programme (Law as 2nd specialty) for those who have already diploma of higher education in other fields, as well as extension programme started in 2007.
The Faculty of Law has the following Chairs:
- Chair of Theory and History of State and Law,
- Chair of Constitutional Law,
- Chair of Civil Law,
- Chair of Civil Procedure,
- Chair of Criminal Law,
- Chair of Criminal Procedure and Criminalistics,
- Chair of European and International Law.
The Faculty has 1 Corresponding Member of the National Academy of Sciences of the RA, 10 Doctors of Law and 50 Candidates of Law.
With a view to organizing effective educational process the Laboratory of Criminalistics, Moot Court Room, as well as the Legal Clinic were established at the Faculty of Law within the last years.
There are also scientific centers functioning at the Faculty: the Center of European Law and Integration, the Center of Criminal-Legal and Criminological Studies, the Center of Environmental Law and the Center of Forensic Expertise.
The Faculty has computer center and electronic law library with 20 computers, as well as a reading room with new publication on different legal topics. The web address of the Faculty is www.law.ysu.am.
Textbooks, manuals, course materials are published in the small printing-house of the Faculty. The Faculty also issues "The Problems of Jurisprudence" quarterly where the scientific articles of law professors and post-graduate students are published.
In addition to research and teaching the Faculty members actively participated and still participate in the constitutional and judicial reforms carried out in the Republic of Armenia.
The YSU Faculty of Law, as an educational and scientific institution, effectively co-operates both with local and foreign scientific centers and institutions, in particular, with the Institute of Philosophy, Sociology and Law of the National Academy of Sciences of the RA, the Center of Constitutional Law, the Scientific and Educational Center of the General Prosecutor's Office of RA, a number of leading law schools of Russian Federation, Europe and the USA, as well as with some authoritative international organizations, including UN Representative Office in RA, United States Agency of International Development (USAID), American Bar Association (ABA), Open Society Institute (OSI), etc.
The student life at the Faculty is also very active. The Student Council and the Student Scientific Association organize various scientific-educational (seminars, conferences, competitions, meetings with high officials and famous lawyers, etc.,) and cultural events.
The administration of the Faculty took concrete steps to solve employment issues of the alumni. The Career Center, established and functioning with the active assistance of ABA, provides a permanent link "student-alumnus-employer" and supports them to find an appropriate job.
Faculty of International Relations
- International Relations
- Political Science/Politology
- Public Relations
The Chair of International Relations was founded in 1990 and preserved this status till 1998 (1990- at the Faculty of Oriental Studies, and beginning from 1991-1992 academic year - at the Faculty of History). In 1993 Chair of Theory and History of International Relations was opened to form educational projects and organize the process, which was later renamed a Chair of International Relations and Diplomacy.
According to the decision of YSU Academic Council a new Faculty of International Relations was formed on the 16th of September 1998 based on the Chair of International Relations. The Chair of Political Science, which functioned in the structure of the Faculty of Philosophy that time, joined the Faculty of International Relations Currently three departments function in the structure of this faculty: International Relations, Political Science and Public Management.
This faculty trains highly qualified specialists for diplomatic service, international organizations, and governmental bodies of the republic, as well as for the analytical and research departments of non-governmental organizations.
The faculty comprises three chairs - those of Chair of International Relations and Diplomacy, Political Science and Public Management.
Seven doctors and 23 candidates of sciences, five professors and 14 assistant professors develop the educational process at YSU Faculty of International Relations.
Schools and faculties
- Faculty of Biology
- Faculty of Chemistry
- Faculty of Informatics and Applied Mathematics
- Faculty of Geography
- Faculty of Geology
- Faculty of Mathematics and Mechanics
- Faculty of Physics
- Faculty of Radiophysics
- IT Educational and Research Center
- Faculty of Armenian Philology
- Faculty of Economics
- Faculty of History
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of International Relations
- Faculty of Sociology
- Faculty of Oriental Studies
- Faculty of Philosophy, Psychology
- Faculty of Romance and Germanic Philology
- Faculty of Russian Philology
- Preparatory Faculty for Foreign Citizens
- Gyumri, Armenia
- Marat Aleksanian - Armenian politician and minister of justice from 1996 to 1998
- Alexander Arzoumanian - Armenia’s first ambassador to the United States
- Leonid Azkaldian - Armenian physicist and one of the founders and commander of the "Liberation Army" military organization
- Lilit Belluyan - Armenian journalist and scholar
- Campbell Kurt - American Businessman, Diplomat, and 18th Assistant Secretary of State for East Asian and Pacific Affairs
- Levon Chookaszian - Armenian art historian and the UNESCO Chair of Armenian Art History
- Natalya Melikyan - Armenian scientist, Doctor of Biological Sciences, Professor, Honored Scientist
- Norayr Mnatsakanyan - Meritorious Artist of the Armenian Soviet Socialist Republic
- Paruyr Sevak - Armenian poet and writer
- Shahen Meghrian - Armenian military commander
- Silva Kaputikyan - Armenian poet and writer
- Sergey Mergelyan - Armenian scientist and outstanding mathematician
- Stepan Karapetovich Pogosyan - Armenian historian and politician
- Serzh Sargsyan - 3rd President of Armenia
- Vasyl Shkliar - Ukrainian author and politician
- Norair Sisakian - Soviet Armenian biochemist, academic, one of the founders of space biology
- Vahe Stepanyan - Armenian minister of justice from 1990 to 1996
- Aram Ter-Ghevondyan - Armenian historian and scholar
- Levon Ter-Petrossian - 1st President of Armenia
- Suren Yeremyan - Armenian historian and cartographer
- Nairi Zarian - Soviet Armenian poet and writer, the chairman of Armenian SSR Committee for the Defense of Peace
- "URAP - University Ranking by Academic Performance".
- Official site - English
- Yerevan State University Trade Union
- Yerevan State University Graduate Union